Volumex crank & other questions

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
nassim131

Volumex crank & other questions

Post by nassim131 »

Hi guy,

I'm just wondering if there is a difference in tightening between crank with front nut (normal 2l TC ) & crank with screw in front (like 130TC) ??

Also if the Volumex crank is different from those two mentioned above?

Many thanks
Nassim (Book#327)
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Difference between crank with nut & crank with screw

Post by Guy Croft »

No, both should be done up to 120-130lbf ft. Those late setup with reverse thread bolt (130TC, Vx, Integrale etc) are all the same thread and same torque.

GC
nassim131

Post by nassim131 »

Hi Guy ,
thanks for fast reply.

you are talking about crank with - reverse - thread bolt ( i had it on my previous Vx engine ) , but what i have in my engine now is a crank with regular nut ( not reverse - the engine came as it is from a used parts dealer) thats why i'm asking . may be it is from a 2l TC 8v late engine that have different characteristics than these you mentioned (130TC,Vx,or Integral ) and thats why i dont have acceleration more than 4000 rpm ...

looking for help ...
Nassim (Book#327)
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

The nut was introduced on the 130TC which was launched in 1983, the Beta, 131 and 132 units were still in production so you could not ID the engine merely from that. Give the casting code numbers from the block - under the inlet manifold.

GC
nassim131

Post by nassim131 »

Hi,

the block casting number is 828b7000 , i'm sure it is a Lancia Beta Vx engine, but the Crank does not belong to it but i'm not quit sure about that , as the block were brocken from side which is a clue to broken crank ( because the rods are Vx - nuts & not bolts if that info is right ?? )
Nassim (Book#327)
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Yes, Lancia Volumex block engine code is 828B7000, I am building one here and I just checked it. The crank in this one has a reverse thread bolt as have all the Vx units I've seen (pretty sure anyhow) and the rods have nuts and bolts.

G
nassim131

Post by nassim131 »

so we are sure now it isnt a Vx crank .
i got a used 130TC crank from a used abarth engine , it is good and STD size bearings , and have a reverse bolt thread.
shall i strep down the engine and replace the cranck with this one , and keep the other setup as is :
-HC pistons 11:1
-Vx
-43.5 in , 36 out valves (normal asperated heat bored and polished)
-normal asperated STD cams from 130 TC
-Vx beta carb.

or you advise to change something in this process ??
Nassim (Book#327)
nassim131

Post by nassim131 »

is there any marks or printed numbers to identify any crank as Vx,130TC,or Integral ??
Nassim (Book#327)
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

It can't be an Integrale crank because that has a completely different nose and would not fit your unit. The only difference betw the 132/131 cranks (not entirely sure about the 130TC because I have never measured them) and the Vx is the Vx has 5mm diameter oilways on the big end journals compared with 4mm on the 131/131 series. The Int crank has 5mm as well but is not crossdrilled FWIW.

You running 11/1 CR on supercharged?

GC
nassim131

Post by nassim131 »

yes guy ,

thats why the engine dead, i cannot get acceleration more than 4000rpm and not much power.
i will replace the Vx with dual 45 webbers , do you think with such HC pistons will be better ??
Nassim (Book#327)
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Nassim, hi

you need only 8/1CR with the Vx (more or less, I don't agree with more though some disagree, less is do-able also, I have run as low as 7.2/1). On normally aspirated you can run almost as high as you like depending on the octane of the gasoline. However I suggest a full strip of that motor - head off and pistons out because if it's been running as a supercharged unit at 11/1 there will almost certainly be chronic detonation damage to head, gasket, pistons, bores, rings etc etc. That is my guess anyhow, and certainly an engine like that struggling to get over 4000rpm sounds like it could be a detonation problem. Detonation is not something you can 'drive thru' with too high CR, it just gets worse and worse.

G
nassim131

Post by nassim131 »

Thank you very much for your support.
I will strip down the engine, but not now, may be March, I don't have time for such effort right now . I will keep the car stored untill that time, and will let you know step by step .

My best regards!
Nassim (Book#327)
nassim131

Re: Volumex crank & other questions

Post by nassim131 »

Hi guy,

i'm sorry for the misunderstanding that happens in the title "Volumex with very high CR pistons" .
i meant that i will fit original mondial pistons from 2.0 132 (that will give 8.5:1 CR).
the engine now is running well and healthy with STD cams (Not Vx) and original carb from 131 volumetrico (not Lancia Beta).
i will upgrade the carb to Weber 40 DCOE with the setup you gave me earlier ( i'm waiting for the parts to arrive now ) and see how it will go.
i'm not sure about how much HP it will produce .

one thing i need now is , which camshafts you recommend for this setup from your sellection ???
do you agree with smaller Vx pully to produce higher pressure ?? (just one tooth)
Nassim (Book#327)