Land Rover Series 2.8 liter Performance Engine build
In need for more torque to cope with modern day traffic conditions I originally intended to upgrade the 2.25 when I stumbled upon a 2.5 liter engine block for sale. The 2.5 liter is basically the 2.25 with a longer stroke as developed for the LR 90/110/Defender. I also found out that the UK based ACR has developed a CNC ported head, larger bore pistons to increase the capacity of this engine to 2.8 liter as well as a camshaft and carb kit. Aim of this kit is to increase torque and drivability which makes it perfect for my intentions.
Most parts can be interchanged between the 2.25 and the 2.5 but since I am using my Landy frequently I needed to find also a head, timing cover, sump etc. to be able to swap the complete engine after build. The head I found online as well as a donor diesel engine for the other bits and bobs. Flywheel and housing are different from other series and difficult to acquire but in the end I succeeded. In hindsight I would have been better (less expensive) off if I had started with a complete 2.5 engine as a basis.
Inspection of the 2.5 block revealed that the crank needed grinding and it turned out that the cost of a new crank is close to machining so I opted for a new crank. Send of the head to ACR for porting and skimming and it returned with the over size pistons, H-beam rods, camshaft and the SU HS6 Carburetor kit.
Block was bored and skimmed locally during which I checked the dimensions of the new crank and cleaned, sand blasted and painted all ancillary parts.
After return of the bored block it was painted too so the build could commence. Ring gaps and bearing clearances were checked and all within spec. When inserting # 1 piston the upper rail of the oil control ring snatched between the piston and cylinder wall. Possibly due to the type of ring compressor in combination with the large bore (95 mm). rail was destroyed and luckily only minor damage to the piston. Slight set back in time however due to waiting for the new rail.
While waiting I finished inserting the other pistons with another design ring compressor and inserted #1 piston without rings so I could start installing and timing the camshaft. More to follow.