Benefit of fitting an Engine Earth Kit

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
cantfindausername

Benefit of fitting an Engine Earth Kit

Post by cantfindausername »

I have seen a lot of Performance Engine Earth Kits dotted around on various websites.

So I thought I'd come and ask on here if anyone knew what the real benefits are of fitting one.

I'm not expecting a performance increase to be the answer, but if it's worth while to make sure the earthing of the engine is in tip-top shape, then I might construct one out of good quality thick earth cable and connectors.

Opinions/thoughts/comments all welcome and appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Ant
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Ant, hi

Sounds, frankly, like just another wheeze to take money off people for no good reason, sorry.
In my exp most electronic control problems (as such) are due to connection fault between ecu systems and cabling. I had this recently on my Range Rover, tried earht straps and spent a huge amount of money trying to trace, turned out to be a loose body-electronic-control plug under the driver seat, no more than that, but it had led to electronic chaos with every single vehicle electronic function incl gearchange. I'd be very circumspect of wasting time on/attributing any flaw to - OE earth cabling if in good condition - a thing that is obvious to the naked eye and rarely even needs to be electriclaly tested.

GC
cantfindausername

Thanks Guy. I did wonder if there was any actual benefit and you've pretty much cleared that up. I guess its more a case of making sure the original cables are in good condition and replace if needed. I suppose it could come under the general maintenance checks this one.

Generally, where are earth cables run from on the engine? Is it just the head and gearbox?

Thanks,
Ant
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

It depends on the starter load and cable capacity, it could be one thick one or 2 or 3 thinner ones, and since the block, head and gearbox are hard-bolted (ie: metal to metal) it doesn't matter at all where they are connected to.

GC
cantfindausername

Good call Guy. I completely ignored the engine mounts.

The starter has a big thick cable on it and I re wrapped that when I was installing the engine so its nicely protected and in good condition. Think I would have seen any issues by now if they were going to be there.

Thanks for your advice!
Ant