Different injectors - Correct positioning - Uno turbo

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
the mk1 kid

Different injectors - Correct positioning - Uno turbo

Post by the mk1 kid »

Hi,

I fully intended to post ages ago, but since registering i have hardly had time.

I am converting (and slowly) converting my mk1 uno turbo to use all the punto gt managment.

Among some other quirky little mods i am currently having some work done on my inlet manifold so it accepts the bosch style injectors the punto uses.

When comparing the position of the mk1 and mk2 injectors in the manifold, i noticed the mk2's sit much closer to the flow than the mk1's.

Can anyone pass comment on any evidence they know of that would influence the work i am having done?

Regards

Tom
White mk1 uno t
the mk1 kid

Post by the mk1 kid »

I feel i should point out that, i am comparing the position of the OE mk1 injectors in the mk1 manifold, with the mk2 injectors in the mk2 manifold.

I dont think that was clear, and obviously makes a big difference!

I would like to get some pictures up at the weekend, showing more clearly how far back they sit in comparison.

Regards

Tom
White mk1 uno t
Acki

Post by Acki »

You can install the GT injectors on the 1301cc manifold very easy. You need to cut down the end of the injectors. The rest is like on the 1301cc injectors.
This works without problems!

I think in this position you have a better mixture than on the 1372cc's manifold.
the mk1 kid

Post by the mk1 kid »

Hi Acki,

From looking at the injectors it seems obvious that they have a very different method of sealing. The mk2's/gt's push-in and require an o-ring, where as the mk1's seal at the base, not on the sides. The mk2's are thicker and do not fit into the whole for the mk1's, therfore i imagine you are suggesting i actually lathe (or use other means) the injector itself..?

As we speak the inlet manifold is being elaborated to accept the full injector and o-ring style fit. If i have to change injectors in the future, this will be far easier in my opinion.

If i have got the wrong end of the stick, please let me know.

With regards to the actual tip, and where in relation to the air stream, is it really best to have the tip sitting quite far out of the stream, like the OE mk1 setup?

Regards

Tom
White mk1 uno t
Acki

Post by Acki »

I think it's better because the fuel cools the air down at this costs time.
I'm looking for a picture of Punto Gt injectors of the 1301cc manifold.
Julian

Post by Julian »

If you are using the manifolds as stock then I would agree that the Mk2/GT manifold is superior but when it comes to modifying the manifolds, porting them especially then the Mk1 manifold is the best choice thanks to the detachable inlet runners.

If you are going to modify then I would stick with the mk1 and use appropriate new injectors instead of machining old ones to fit
SteveNZ

Post by SteveNZ »

Any 280 150 xxx injector should fit the Uno turbo mk1 manifold with original injectors bosses.

I dont believe it will make any significant difference where the injectors are placed in this case. The fuel only gets injected on the back of the valve anyway.
Acki

Post by Acki »

But these injectors are rarely.
You can use 1.5 MPI injectors but they have 4Ohm and not 16Ohm (can damage the ECU).

Here are the pictures, the modification is very easy.

You have to cut down the plastic at the end of the GT injector.
Than you have to change the top of the old injector to the new. You know?

Than it should looks like that:

Clear what to do? :)
the mk1 kid

Post by the mk1 kid »

Hi,

Sorry for the delay..

I can honestly say i did not look closely enough/had the confidence to consider actually working on the injectors themselves..

By now the manifold should have been adapted to accept the gt injectors in their OE form, however i still intend to have a new fuel rail made from stainless steel.

A couple of the OE mk1 rails i own leak with increased fuel pressure, so i am keen to remove all of the rubber.

Re the plenum chambers; i wanted to use the mk1 manifold as i do intend to port it, and i believe the larger internal volume will benefit me.

I might see my friend who does my work on the weekend, if so i will try and get some pictures up.

Thank you for all your comments

Regards

Tom
White mk1 uno t
Acki

Post by Acki »

Ok understand.

Try this:

That are not my pictures but maybe I can organize you a cad drawing or something.
the mk1 kid

Post by the mk1 kid »

Hi,

Sorry for the delay..

I can honestly say i did not look closely enough/had the confidence to consider actually working on the injectors themselves..

By now the manifold should have been adapted to accept the gt injectors in their OE form, however i still intend to have a new fuel rail made from stainless steel.

A couple of the OE mk1 rails i own leak with increased fuel pressure, so i am keen to remove all of the rubber.

Re the plenum chambers; i wanted to use the mk1 manifold as i do intend to port it, and i believe the larger internal volume will benefit me.

I might see my friend who does my work on the weekend, if so i will try and get some pictures up.

Thank you for all your comments

Regards

Tom
White mk1 uno t
the mk1 kid

Post by the mk1 kid »

*****Please ignore the above*****

Aki you have lot up your sleeve!

We are going for an interference fit into the enlarged injector locations.

Those are very smart though!

Was that set up on thr OE rail, or a custom job?

What do you have interms of pics of custom rails?

Kind regards

Tom
White mk1 uno t
Acki

Post by Acki »

No I have no picture of the fuel rail. But there you can do it like on the first pictures (like the stock injectors) or or you have to create a rail out of 2 units because of the angle of the injectors.
In germany you can buy fuel rails for custom building (http://www.flow-improver.de -> catalog).

Or do I understand you wrong?
the mk1 kid

Post by the mk1 kid »

Hi Acki,

Nope, you understand me fully.

Thanks for the link, i did have a look, though the English pages are 'under construction'. Looks like a useful company judging by their long list of products.

As a safe bet i plan to have the rail made from stainless, and follow a similar design as that of the punto gt rail, but incorporating a neat attachment for an adjustable pressure regulator at one end.

Any rough guid lines to follow, or do's and don't?

I love these little one-off mods, it makes the car feel more mine.

Kind regards

Tom
White mk1 uno t
Acki

Post by Acki »

I can give you the mail adress of the guy who made this adapter. Maybe he can sold you a set. Don't know.