Beta VX heads,

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
mark1968

Beta VX heads,

Post by mark1968 »

Hello Guy.
My question to your is-
I have a few Beta Volumex engines kicking around and for one project I want to use the head with twin carbs making use of the larger inlet valves. From your book I have found that the inlet ports are 36mm all the way down. Is there scope to alter this so I can create a venturi in the port? What method should I use?

Thanks in advance

Mark
A Beta fanatic
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

There is no benefit to having a venturi port as such, parallel is better, if it is of the right size. They flow OK if the convergence isn't too acute but a parallel port flows better.
No, I would not reshape that port in terms of its general diameter, just tidy up the finish and radius the short-side region - but be aware it's so big that you will doubtless (if there is such a thing) need a healthy CR and powerful inlet cam etc etc to get good bottom-end torque.

GC
SteveNZ

Post by SteveNZ »

The manifold bolt pattern is different to other non VX heads too. Finding a manifold maybe difficult or expensive.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Steve, hi

you're right of course, but in fact the Vx head has extra threaded holes for the Vx inboard manifold and still retains the normally aspirated ones too. So you can bolt a sidedraft manifold a la 131 type straight to it. It is necessary to plug the lower 3 Vx holes because they go straight into the cooling passage.

GC
mark1968

Post by mark1968 »

Thank you Guy.
What CR and cams would you suggest? I want to use beta 1585 pistons, are these suitable? I am also planing to use 45dhla s carbs that were originally from a 2.2 lotus esprit . I would like to set up the engine for a fast road spec mated to a VX box.

Thanks again

Mark
A Beta fanatic