Valve timing assistance needed for Fiat Bravo 1.6 16V

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
Denisuk

Valve timing assistance needed for Fiat Bravo 1.6 16V

Post by Denisuk »

Can anybody help me?

I need valve timing for 182A4.000 engine, cause i can't set up camshafts without it. I don't have special Fiat tools to do it.

Thanks,

Denisov
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Denisov, hi

I don't know this Fiat engine - I have not seen one. Some photos of the cams and head setup would help.

Is it VVT - variable valve timing? Sorry to ask but I just don't know. If any GCRE member can help please speak up!

If it is a non VVT layout of twin cam with belt drive and the question is 'how to set up cams' then I can do that easily.

GC
Denisuk

Post by Denisuk »

Guy Croft wrote:Denisov, hi

I don't know this Fiat engine - I have not seen one. Some photos of the cams and head setup would help.

Is it VVT - variable valve timing? Sorry to ask but I just don't know. If any GCRE member can help please speak up!

If it is a non VVT layout of twin cam with belt drive and the question is 'how to set up cams' then I can do that easily.

GC
it's not VVT. it's simple dohc 16V engine. And you're right - the question is "how to set up cams" - i need valve timing diagram (intake/outtake valve opening/closing times).
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Information on cam timing and many other things (eg: finding true tdc on the crank) is available in the GC Virtual Workshop at:

http://guy-croft.com/viewtopic.php?t=213

Please have a good read.

Shown below is a typical representation of inlet and ex cam timing, the full lift is calculated from the open-close figures. I do not have the FL data for your engine or cam timing but full lift in/ex is going to be somewhere around 105-110 degrees I imagine. Can another member help with cam timing data for this engine please?

My simple Excel chart is available as a download, you just need to enter the inlet and ex open and close figures for your cam (eg 40/80 80/40) and it will calculate FL and adjust the diagram. I have not figured how to get the picture to show FL (full lift) but I expect one gifted reader will do it in not time and e mail it to me...?! Ignore the 48 and 122 values. This chart was cleverly designed and kindly sent to me to use ages ago by (now) site member Rob Girard in France, who is much cleverer than I!

GC
Attachments
The behaviour of cams in any engine is very much governed by the Full Lift (FL) position. Interestingly, advanced software simulation I have sight of increasingly shows FL closer to 100 deg gives better driveability.
The behaviour of cams in any engine is very much governed by the Full Lift (FL) position. Interestingly, advanced software simulation I have sight of increasingly shows FL closer to 100 deg gives better driveability.
cam timing diagram.GIF (17.48 KiB) Viewed 5025 times
Cam timing diagram.xls
Download of cam timing data
(18.5 KiB) Downloaded 427 times