2.0L 16v turbo engine from Lancia Thema - which version

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
Walezy

2.0L 16v turbo engine from Lancia Thema - which version

Post by Walezy »

Hello,
Does anyone know how to find out which type of 2.0l 16v turbo engine from thema has 205HP? There was 185HP version available. My friend wants to buy such engine for his Tipo but he wants to make sure it is the stronger version. From what I know the more powerful engines ware mounted after 1992 year. Are there any different engine numbers or maybe inlet manifold design is strictly designed for that 205HP version?
Tomasz
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Tomasz, hi

you will find the answer in the Lancia Motor Club UK website archive.

Go to: http://www.lanciamotorclub.co.uk/model_ ... _guide.htm

and use the section called: Fiat ownership 1979-1989

I just checked it, you should be OK there.

GC
BoazG

Post by BoazG »

The earlier 16vt have 185bhp and the later (1993-1994) have 205bhp.

However, the earlier models have bigger inlet valves, so more upgrade potential. (The difference in power is due to higher boost pressure)

BUT the early model is not the perfect choice because the exhaust valves are not sodium filled and in the 205bhp model, they are.

If you can get your hands on a Fiat coupe engine or a Kappa turbo engine, it would be the best choice.
Also if you are going to use the standard ECU from the salvage car, then the Bosch Motronic in the Kappa (and the later Themas) is better (in my opinion) than the Coupe's Marelli.
Walezy

Post by Walezy »

Thanks for the help but I have one more question. How to find out which engine is the one with 205HP without stripping it. Does it have any particular engine numbers? The engine will be bought separately so I will not be able to check the car date of manufacture.
sumplug

Post by sumplug »

Walezy wrote:Thanks for the help but I have one more question. How to find out which engine is the one with 205HP without stripping it. Does it have any particular engine numbers? The engine will be bought separately so I will not be able to check the car date of manufacture.
Why not get hold of a Delta Integrale 16v engine? Early ones generate 200bhp [upto 1991] , and later 210bhp. Much better head on these and very tuneable indeed.

Andy.
BoazG

Post by BoazG »

Tomasz,

The 185bhp engine code is: 834F1.000
The 205bhp engine code is: 834F2.000

You should be able to find this number on the exhaust side of the engine block.

There is also a number on the cylinder head, just above the exhaust manifold.
I will be able to check it for you when I get back home on friday, if you can wait until then.

Boaz.
Walezy

Post by Walezy »

Great, this is what i was looking for. Thank you very much.
Evodelta

Post by Evodelta »

sumplug wrote: Why not get hold of a Delta Integrale 16v engine? Early ones generate 200bhp [upto 1991] , and later 210bhp. Much better head on these and very tuneable indeed.

Andy.
Because if it's got 'integrale' written on it it's twice as scarce and costs twice as much. ;-)
Walezy

Post by Walezy »

This is about to be a daily driver Tipo, it will not be tuned later(maybe only some chip but not too much). that is why it will not matter that much if it is a Delta or Thema engine and why pay more for Delta engine if it will not be tuned later.
Tomasz
sumplug

Post by sumplug »

Walezy wrote:This is about to be a daily driver Tipo, it will not be tuned later(maybe only some chip but not too much). that is why it will not matter that much if it is a Delta or Thema engine and why pay more for Delta engine if it will not be tuned later.
Tomasz
In that case, use a Fiat Coupe 16v engine. Lots of these around, and they are now going cheap. And you will have a better chance of getting an engine without starship miles on it.

Andy.
Walezy

Post by Walezy »

Coupe was not a popular car in Poland, it is far easier to find Lancia Thema engines here.
Testament

Post by Testament »

Evodelta wrote:
sumplug wrote: Why not get hold of a Delta Integrale 16v engine? Early ones generate 200bhp [upto 1991] , and later 210bhp. Much better head on these and very tuneable indeed.

Andy.
Because if it's got 'integrale' written on it it's twice as scarce and costs twice as much. ;-)
Aren't all the 16v heads (apart from S3 thema and old abarth) for the twin cam more or less the same? ok some small differences I'm sure, but flow potential thema/Integrale/coupe same size valves pretty much identical?
Walezy

Post by Walezy »

Well, for the seller it will not matter if it is different. It will only matter if it is Integrale or Thema. The same thing is often when you buy even new parts for car, for example when I was looking for a water pump for my Chrysler Voyager I was told that it will be around 300euro but when I told that I need a water pump for Ford Scorpio(diesel engines) then the price was around 40euro for the same item...
BoazG

Post by BoazG »

Hi,

I've checked the part number on the cylinder head: 7687456.
You can find it on the exhaust side, in the middle, just above the exhaust manifold.
This is the number for the 205bhp model (small inlet valves) and as far as I know, unique for this model.

Boaz.