Big End & Main running clearance

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
HFStuart

Big End & Main running clearance

Post by HFStuart »

My engine build progresses (slowly)

It a 2.0 T/C from a UK spec 1978 Beta Spider

Before I put it back together permanently I checked the big end and main clearance with plastigage. This is with the new bearings in place. The clearance came out at 0.06mm for both. Looking at the Lancia shop manual that looks fine but my paranoia would like some confirmation.

Also the oil pump gear lobe to lobe clearance is 0.2mm. This is more than specified but experience tells me it will be fine - again some verification would be reassuring.

Thanks.
Stuart
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Both those figures are quite typical Stuart and fine. I'd only be concerned at say - 0.075mm (3 thou") on mains.

Gear to casing is more important than backlash - that's the oil pumping route. It isn't actually pumped between the gears, oddly enough.

GC

(BTW after your query I took a load of photos for article on Plastigauge and crank-block checking yesterday but have not done the text yet)
Attachments
Plastigauge in use at GCRE on a TC main journal to measure bearing-to-crank clearance on diameter. The wider the footprint the tighter the clearance, something that fools me every time...
Plastigauge in use at GCRE on a TC main journal to measure bearing-to-crank clearance on diameter. The wider the footprint the tighter the clearance, something that fools me every time...
GCRE 029.jpg (113.36 KiB) Viewed 3578 times
HFStuart

Post by HFStuart »

Guy,

Top notch reply.

Re the oil pump thing - it's amazing how much I 'know' because I've assumed it - then I get a reply like that, look at the pump design properly for the first time, and go 'Oh yes, he's right too !'

Many thanks,
Stuart