Zagato 2L TC oil filter housing gasket failure

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
pv269

Zagato 2L TC oil filter housing gasket failure

Post by pv269 »

Hi Everyone:

well, my newly rebuilt engine is back in the shop after about 5 minute of happy driving.

Started the car and examined the gauges, all OK. Warmed it up for a minute on high idle and drove out at a reasonable clip.

Soon, I was zippng downhill on the freeway at about 70KPH in 5th gear when all of a sudden the cockpit filled with smoke.

Quickly I looked down to my instrumentation, OIL LIGHT ON, PRESSURE GAUGE 0psi or abouts.

Engine did not sound abnormal as all this was occuring.

I quickly pushed on the clutch and shut down the engine.

Glided safely to the L side of the road.

Called my rebuilder, he got me a tow truck.

It is in the shop now being repaired.

Supposely the paper gasket broke, fasteners where not loose.

This is a known Fiat/Lancia engine rebulder in my hometown, he does very good work.

Gasket set is common kit for complete engine.

Replacement gasket will be metalic/asbestos - not paper and will be sealed with some aircraft quality goop (as before).

I think that gasket will outlive the car - hopefully that will be a long time!

Question:
what would cause the gasket to break apart?
usual suspects:
Kinks in gasket, poor material, manufacture defect, sealent either did not cure, or bad sealent.

Note: This engine has higher compression / forged pistons which one could pickup at the usual parts houses which specialize in Fiat/Lancia/Alfa etc.
am running 10/40 for breakin then go to 20/50 on the 500 mile retune.

My rebuilder will put it all back today and drive the car as before.

I hope to have no further surprise issues for the next 200K miles of operation.

BR,

Paul
vanVeen
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

The Lancia TC oil pump needs an 'O' ring, it does not use a gasket.

GC
pv269

Zagato 2L Engine New Rebuild Oil pump housing gasket failure

Post by pv269 »

Hi Guy:

Oil Filter Housing Gasket Failure is what I should have typed

On the Zagato, there is an oil filter housing.
Which on one side fits the Oil Filter and on the other side fits the block with 4 studs.

Oil Filter support base gasket - (I have looked up the name in the parts blowup)

It is on the side of the block where the paper gasket is fitted.
The latter is the site of the failure.

Please excuse, I don't want to be wasting anyone's time with my lack of detail/ specification and typo.

Will look up the part's name in the manual next time.

I need to get more sleep - that won't hurt things!

Hopefully get the car today working OK
vanVeen
pv269

Post by pv269 »

Hi All: - a request for documentation/ information on 81 Zagato.
seems that there is a service ap note/ post from Lancia which shows the proper way to install the gasket.

One way partially blocks the oil hole (on the left hand side); however, it almost appears correct.

Re orient the gasket by rotating 180 degrees across the horizontal plane, e.g., flip it upside down, and you have alignment.

Will go in today to try to figure out the cause of the housing gasket blow out.

Sadly enough, one must remove almost every ancilary on the forward passenger side of the engine to get at this housing. PS pump, AC pump/ housing, cam tensioner spring bolt.

a weeee bit difficult.

Wish me the best, again we have not yet got the job done and manuals for that 81 FI Zagato are very difficult to come by.

I am having to assist the mechanic as he does not have Zagato Specific or even FI model Beta documentation - although he owns an 81 just like mine!!!
If anyone has a PDF covering 81-82 Zagato/ Beta torque specs and/or assembly- dissasembly procedures please feel free to send it to me pv2@rocketmail.com unless it is outside of the scope of copyrighted legalities. The rebuilder and I do have the 79 manual.

Much thanks to everyone for your assist/advise,

Paul
vanVeen
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

I certainly wish you the best Paul.

There is no science to that housing/gasket. Sure you can put the gasket upside down but you won't I'm sure.

Line it up and bolt it up, torque up to 30lbf ft. No idea why it blew out, never seen it happen..

GC
pv269

Thanks Guy! it is done

Post by pv269 »

Hi Guy:
I worked with my rebuilder, got some docs and he found a microfiche of parts blow-up in his library which allowed the #2 mechanic to find the hidden bolt in the AC pump Mount as the #1 mechanic ( his Lancia Expert) in the hospital successfully recovering from his Open Heart Surgery.

The gasket is now on and everything is coming back together so hopefully I will have the car on the weekend for our Fiats of the Caribbean Party in Portland, OR. Hopefully you will hop across the pond and join us in the NW and meet some of your fans!

Thanks to you and all the people here who are so helpful, and won't bother you with thanks for each of your responses.
I can understand you are quite busy.

Best Wishes for you in 07!

Paul
vanVeen