76 Fiat Spider & Corvette V8, ethanol/nitrous - 500bhp?

Post pics of your car in here
fasterfiat

76 Fiat Spider & Corvette V8, ethanol/nitrous - 500bhp?

Post by fasterfiat »

Lots of work has gone into this car.
Originally an an internet auction site buy in 2000, the engine/transmission setup built for a rod buildup was never used when I acquired it in 2001. I had to drive from Wyoming to Detroit to get it. '94 Corvette LT-1/700r4 was brand new!
Wiring harness was a mess as was the 94 OBD1 computer. Went with a 96 new OBD2 computer, painless wiring, custom programming, custom placement of engine/transmission, custom radiator/oil cooler, 22" driveshaft, replaced and moved firewall, new instrumentation, new master cylinder, (2 Fiat, 1 Chevy, now Pro Race), B&M gearchange, 6 point roll cage, Supra rack and pinion steering, shortened Chevy Camaro rear end with Tom's 'Kick unacceptable' Axles, 3.73 Positrack, Chevy drum rears, (nice and big), dual exhaust front to back, custom headers, frame rails, extra frame strengtheners, torque strap on engine, new seats, getting new seats again as I can't stand these, new dash, (already cracked again), 17" wheels, low profile, (now bald tires), Nitrous Express nitrous kit 75-150hp, ram air, 4 point racing harness'.

And - Personal wood steering wheel, (very nice and nicer than the awful stock Fiat ones), reworked fuel sending unit, (to get the gas gauge to register right), larger fuel lines, larger electric fuel pump, new brake lines, louvered hood, aircraft knot meter, (just for fun), boost bottle in the trunk, what else, a lot of money!

It's at the mechanic again to have a new manifold put on bored out to accept the new 58mm throttle body, we're still deciding on a cam and lifters and if we need to put a new torque converter in, oh and the best part, Chevy LT-1's were notorious for ignition failure as it was built low on the front of the engine susceptible to dirt and water. So, it has a new Deltec ignition placed under where the wiper motor is, there's also an extra two cylinders in there and access to the transmission fluid check.

I've driven this car to where I teach, (yes all on a teacher's salary), and got 25 miles to the gallon! I've also beaten big block engines in quarter mile, (that was funny), he said, "oh I beat you", I just laughed and said I'd never seen him even beside me. Sounds unobtrusive at idle but floor the throttle and the engine explodes to life, maybe that's why the tires are bald? Everyone I've given a ride makes a wild grab for the windshield!

The front hubs were drilled to accept studs and the rear drums were drilled to accept 4 bolts so I wouldn't have to carry 2 spares. (because of the positrack), I had to come home once in an emergency, (I teach out of town) and drove flat-out. It's a 160mph size. The speedo usually says about 10 more at slow speeds and 15 more at high speeds than what the car is actually doing. I sure did get home fast and the rpm was at 4000, should have had my gps with me.

The car will soon go in for interior work, exterior body work and a new top. It still sports the original suspension, we even had to heat the springs to get that tank to settle a bit. Still running the original small Fiat brakes up front, all they do is get hot but then I just discovered 'Whoa Brakes' and will be ordering some soon from Jim Fierst!

I know a place in Casper, WY that did an interior for a girl, new door panels custom made using only the top piece, new seat covers for all seats, with a spider put on for a custom stitch, new carpeting, new rear top boot cover and the top stretched for a very good price. It looks awesome! That's where my other 78 Spider is now, getting the body straightened, a front fender replaced, a new top put on and a new paint job. Both cars will be House of Kolor Pearl Blue.

That's all I can think of for now, and for those who think I'm unacceptable, well, I listened to my brother who owned two Fiats back in the 70's and we'd take high speed trips to Yellowstone in, "why don't you put a V8 in a Spider?" and I listened.

I did race in an SCCA event in Casper but with the extra power pushing me into turns, the stock front stabilizer did absolutely nothing. I need something with more umph. As soon as I figure out how to post pics that aren't bmp pics then I'll post more but I hope Guy doesn't frown but I'm going to post a link: http://gallery.italiancarclub.com/124og/LT1124/
Attachments
500hp Fiat.jpg
500hp Fiat.jpg (81.8 KiB) Viewed 6407 times
Steering.jpg
Steering.jpg (85.41 KiB) Viewed 6354 times
Lots of legroom.jpg
Lots of legroom.jpg (75.51 KiB) Viewed 6357 times
Deltec Ignition.JPG
Deltec Ignition.JPG (165.66 KiB) Viewed 6357 times
Louvered hood.JPG
Louvered hood.JPG (123.78 KiB) Viewed 6357 times
New firewall and tunnel.jpg
New firewall and tunnel.jpg (84.63 KiB) Viewed 6358 times
Chevy rear,Fiat Suspension.jpg
Chevy rear,Fiat Suspension.jpg (74.9 KiB) Viewed 6358 times
Last edited by fasterfiat on January 19th, 2007, 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Hall
sumplug

Post by sumplug »

What an awesome car!!
First thing i would do, is sort the brakes and suspension.
What does the Chevy engine weigh. Around 450ibs?
Must be fun with a capital F to drive, and such a sleeper too!!
Whats it like against a V8 converted Mazda Miata for example?
I would like to see more pics of this please.

Andy.
fasterfiat

Miata

Post by fasterfiat »

My physician, who got me into SCCA, just completed a Mazda Miata conversion putting a Ford 302 in his, I haven't had a chance to go up against him yet.
Robert Hall