How do I mount a FIRE engine to a stand?

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
Balidey

How do I mount a FIRE engine to a stand?

Post by Balidey »

Hello Guy,
I hope this question is not too basic, but I am about to start work on my first engine strip, modification and re-build. I am sure I will be back on here asking more taxing questions eventually but first, I am going to be working on a 1242cc Fiat FIRE engine and I would like to mount it on an engine stand. Normal practice suggests bolting the frame to the flywheel end of the block, but I notice that on your main web-site that the majority of your engines are mounted into the side of the block. Your photo of the 1108cc FIRE engine shows it mounted on the inlet side. Is there a reason for this? Is it something I should do with my engine? Any changes I need to make to the stand spacers or bolts?
Regards,
Steve.
Lowtechguy

Post by Lowtechguy »

I bolted mine to the flywheel end...
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Hi, all questions welcome here if it helps someone.

I use Sealey/Clarke stands. I don't like them over much but they are strong & inexpensive and serve well enough. They don't offer much flexibility in terms of mounting but I never seem to get round to modifying mine!

I don't mount at fw end because there is far too much rotation of the unit during torque up. Plus they are very heavy (it's actually rather dangerous) to swing thru 180 deg mounted that way. So I mount off the back of the block, using metal plates and spacers to get to any convenient M10 or M8 threaded holes on the block. I would want to bolt at say 3 points with that light block, four on the heavier TC.
The downside is the design of those stands - sa they are - brings the weight of the block very close to the back of the stand and you have to be a bit careful not to tip it over. That said I have never had a crash.

Hope this helps,

GC
Attachments
1108 on stand.JPG
1108 on stand.JPG (20.27 KiB) Viewed 3033 times