Reverse the flow (inlet - exhaust) of Fiat 16v head

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
Greenwood037

Reverse the flow (inlet - exhaust) of Fiat 16v head

Post by Greenwood037 »

OK, I have 2 heads. One is in my hands, the other is with a buddy in the UK. It did take a buying 3 to come up with 2, the other was cracked.

One is out of a Thema, and has the sodium cooled exhaust valves and bronze valve guides. The other is the standard item.

So, what am I getting myself in to?

Thank you for your help,
Jason Greenwood
Greenwood037

repost of original question

Post by Greenwood037 »

I am converting both a Fiat X1/9 and a Lancia Scorpion to 2.0 blocks with the Lancia Integrale 16v head. In both situations, It would be more practical to have the exhaust exit the head towards the rear of the car like the 8v heads do. How reasonable would it be to use the head in reverse? I don't know anything about the flow of coolant through the head, such as if there is more or less on one side than the other. I know the valves of different sizes. Can the exhaust valve seat be increased in size enough to take an intake sized valve? Would it be detrimental to have a exhaust valve the same size as the intake valve? These will both be forced induction engines.

I have heard there were some early 16v heads that did flow the direction I am looking for, but they are rare. I am in the US, so it is hard enough to get a hold of the more common 16v head.

Thanks
Jason Greenwood
http://www.ferrarikillers.com
Testament

Post by Testament »

I doubt it is worth the trouble. the 16v has been put in X19's before so it can fit as it is, and the scorpion/montecarlo should have more room than the X surely?
SteveNZ

Post by SteveNZ »

It maybe possible to fit the head on the other way around. I think it will fit. You will need to engineer some cams and camwheels.