Tuning 2 liter TC Fiat for drag/sprint (Russian)

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
Rustam

Tuning 2 liter TC Fiat for drag/sprint (Russian)

Post by Rustam »

Здравствуйте!
Подскажите пожалуйста как модифицировать двигатель и коробку 2.0i DOHC для гонки на короткую дистанцию?

Hello!

Would you please give me an advise for modification of the 2.0i DOHC engine and gearbox for the short distance race.

Translated by GCRE member 'Russiangirl'
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

OK

First point:

The fuel injection on the 8V Fiat Argenta is Bosch L Jetronic and the airflow measuring device does not work with too much special tuning.

So, what can you do without changing to carburettors? This is what I think:

1. The cylinder head can be modified to improve flow. This requires work on the inlet ports and the valves and seats. Quite big gains in airflow can be achieved. This is something I do a lot of but I do not publish precise instructions. I can give you some detail if you are interested, in another post, but it does require special tools.
2. A race exhaust manifold. I can offer dimensions but there is no type available to buy, you will need to find a pipe expert who can make it.
3. A single big-bore race silencer. Again, I can offer dimensions, I also sell that.
3. The compression ratio of the standard engine is (I think) about 9/1, it would help to have 10/1 or higher but this depends on the quality of the gasoline. You cannot get production type pistons at all now, I would have to use forged to achieve this.
4. A competition clutch will make you quicker without any increase in power, I do have designs that will bolt to the standard flywheel.
5. Use a low temperature thermostat fitted in the cylinder head, not the OE external one. Bring the engine temperature down to 75 deg C. This will reduce the air intake temperature.
6. Use synthetic race engine oil and fit a sandwich-plate thermostat and oil cooler of matrix size 13 row x 230mm long.
The best source I know for these parts is at:
http://www.thinkauto.com/

What you cannot do with that FI is change the camshafts, I have tried it and so have a lot of people, it does not work. The airflow meter gets confused!

I cannot think of any other modifications that will work, as you can see to do some of the things I recommend the engine has to be dismantled. The most power I ever got with the Bosch injection system was about 138bhp at 6000 rpm.

BUT!

If you do head modifications you are going to need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and reset it by steps of 3psi (0.2bar) to increase the injection. If you don't do this the mixture will be too lean and you won't get the power.

I am sorry but I do not know much about motorsport in Russia, so you can tell me what problems you have getting things and getting things done there and I will certainly try to help.

I hope this gives you something to consider,

GC

Russian version below

Во-первых:

8V Fiat Argenta имеет специфическую систему впрыскивания топлива (Bosch L Jetronic) поэтому измеритель потока воздуха не работает при значительной модификации двигателя.

Вот что я могу посоветовать, чтобы не переходить на карбюраторы:

1. Головка цилиндра (Cylinder head) может быть изменена, чтобы улучшить поток. Это требует работы над портами входного отверстия и клапанами и гнёздами клапанов. Этим можно достичь увеличения воздушного потока. Это то, над чем я в основном работаю, но я не публикую практических инструкций. Я могу дать Вам некоторые детали, если Вы интересуетесь, но эта работа требует наличия специальных инструментов.

2. Выпускной коллектор (exhaust manifold).
Я могу предложить размеры, но таковых коллекторов в продаже не существует. Вам будет нужно эксперта, который смог бы изготовить на заказ.

3. Глушитель. Опять-же, могу предложить показатели измерения. А также у меня имеются глушители на продажу.

4. Степень сжатия стандартного двигателя - (я думаю) 9/1, модификацией можно достигнуть 10/1 или выше, но это в будет зависеть от качества бензина. Поршни заводского производства сейчас достать просто невозможно, поэтому я использую изготовленные по моим чертежам.

5. Гоночное сцепление сделает вас более быстрым даже без увеличение мощности двигателя. .У меня имеется модификации, когда сцепление крепится к стандартному маховому колесу.

6. Использовать низкий температурный термостат, приспособленный в головке цилиндра (не внешний ‚«Фиат‚»). Сбейте температуру двигателя док 75 градусам C. Это уменьшит температуру заборника воздуха.

7. Использовать синтетическое масло (для гоночных автомобилей) (synthetic race engine oil) и установить слоистый термостат и масляной радиатор размера 13 рядов x 230мм длины.

Лучший источник, для этих частей, который я знаю в интернете:
http: // http://www.thinkauto.com/

Что практически невозможно сделать, это модифицировать распредвал. Я пробовал сам и многие кого я знаю, нет смысла! Расходомер воздуха не читает показатели.
Я полагаю, что это все возможные модификации, которые будут работать. Из всего вышеперечисленного понятно, что чтобы произвести некоторые из них, двигатель был должен быть демонтирован. Наибольшая мощность, которую я когда-либо получал с системой инъекции Bosch, была около 138bhp(тормозная лошадиная сила) в 6000 оборотов в минуту.

НО!

Если Вы действительно решитесь на модификации, Вам будет необходим регулятор топливного давления (adjustable fuel pressure regulator) и перезагружать эго постепенно 3psi (0.2bar), чтобы увеличить инъекцию. Если Вы не будете делать этого, то смесь будет слишком скудна, и Вы не будете получать требуемой мощности.

К сожалению, Рустам, я знаю совсем немного о мотоспорте в России. Я надеюсь, что если вы поделитесь со мной своими проблемами с закупкой запасных частей, а также в практическим исполнении необходимых модификаций, я попытаюсь помочь, насколько это будет возможно.

Я надеюсь, всё вышеперечисленное даст пищу для размышлений.

С уважением Гай Крофт

P.S. Рустам, если у Вас возникнут вопросы по поводу перевода ( это мой первый ‚«автомобильный‚» перевод, пожалуйста пишите прямо на мой имейл). Наталья
Attachments
Fully GC gasflowed Fiat Argenta type head, with race valve guides, race spec seats.
Fully GC gasflowed Fiat Argenta type head, with race valve guides, race spec seats.
A 042.jpg (113.63 KiB) Viewed 8327 times
Rustam

Post by Rustam »

Дело в том что у меня нет еще этого двигателя. Я хочу установить двигатель на автомобиль ваз 2101. Двигатель от Fiat Argenta подходит кокраз без переделок моего кузова. Вы можете мне сказать от какого автомобиля установили двигатель на Lada lotus в телепередаче TopGear?
Вы работали с двигателями Российского автопрома?
Насчет гонок:
Я хочу подготовить автомобиль к гонкам на короткую дистанцию по пряной Drag Race.
NickRP

Post by NickRP »

I don't have Argenta specific knowledge, but it is worth saying that many L Jetronic equipped vehicles used special mode of operation at WOT. This special mode included using one RPM indexed table from where the injection pulsewidth is read! So AFM readings were not used in that mode. This means that the fueling on WOT will be wrong if you change airflow to the engine. Increasing fuel pressure might help, of course, but if the shape of VE vs. RPM curve has changed over the original one, your fueling will be optimal at one RPM point, but suboptimal at all other.

Regards,
Nikola Radenkovic
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Now I know that you want to know about a race engine for drag not simply tuning a fuel injected Fiat Argenta. Here is some info about the GC built Lotus Lada engine spec was:

85mm bore 2 liter Fiat Twin-Cam (re-used and re-ringed TRW flat-top cast pistons already with donor engine)
Block and head refaced, bores micro-honed
9.6/1 CR
OE Volumex head gasket and GC race bolts
Lightened (I think) flywheel, balanced crank /fw assembly
Uprated organic competition clutch
131 Sport 5 speed gearbox
Blueprinted valve seats
Fully gasflowed exhaust ports, inlets partial gasflow.
Production valves 42/36, inlet valve back grind 30 deg
GC 3A rally inlet cam, OE standard ex cam
Gc competition valve springs
GC adjustable camwheels, 1" cam belt
GC offset sidedraft inlet manifold
Sidedraft carbs: 45 DCOE, 36mm chokes, Weber twin cable linkage.
4-1 appr 38mm bore, 33" exhaust, straight thru 2" bore pipe.
GC spec race silencer
Bosch OE electronic distributor and ignition pack
NGK B9EGV race plugs
Mocal water-cooled oil cooler
2 quart oil pressure accumulator

I was told to build a basic engine, it would 'never be raced..' I don't know the power, it was never dynoed, maybe 155bhp plus, but very fast indeed though, probably from the GC inlet and standard ex cam combination that gives a very strong torque characteristic across a broad rpm range. They ran it to well over 7500 rpm, not good! If I had to do the engine again I would use forged pistons for sure!

The engine is by no means the most powerful you can do with the 2 liter but I hope this is helpful.

GC

Sorry Rustam - there could be a delay in translation - Russiangirl needs to get a Russian-English technical dictionary now!
KolkaUr

VAZ 2101

Post by KolkaUr »

Opinion of the experienced engineer please!

I should like to ask, is there a probability of the altering this Russian Lada engine. Or should I abandon it? (Because of problem with registration of the engine with police bodies). Will it be better to buy a engine Fiat for altering?

Nikolay
Attachments
Lada SOHC.jpg
Lada SOHC.jpg (185.66 KiB) Viewed 8152 times
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Well, there is nothing wrong with that motor: it's a contemporary design, overhead cam, five bearing crank. I do not know what make it is but looks OK to me..

I think if I had one here with I'd be looking at modifying the cylinder head with porting, valve and seat mods, plus maybe a change of cam to a billet with more lift and overlap, and GC valve springs to get more performance from the head. Then a competition head gasket.

Of course in the bottom-end we could go for race rods and pistons, increasing the robustness and the compression ratio, lightened and balanced flywheel/crank. I don't know the standard intake setup but I'd go for a flowed inlet manifold and Weber carb conversion (maybe twin carbs if legal).

Then I'd give it a race exhaust header/silencer and a competition clutch. Stand back and watch it fly...

Of course I don't have the patterns to do any of that. Not yet anyway!

GC
sumplug

Post by sumplug »

The Vaz 2101 [Lada] engine is basically the old Fiat 124/131 pushrod engine with a Russian designed overhead cam head on it. Quite a few in UK had the Russian Carb exchanged for a Weber downdraft.

Andy.
KolkaUr

VAZ 2101

Post by KolkaUr »

How much will cost alteration and where possible book the spare parts.