Which Fiat engine to choose for 1400 cc class /hillclimb

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
alfa75ba

Which Fiat engine to choose for 1400 cc class /hillclimb

Post by alfa75ba »

Hi,
I am in a little dilemma as which engine to prepare/use in a Yugo that will be used in hillclimb races in the class up to 1400 cc. Just for racing, no street driving or similar. All engine and chasis modifications allowed (except turbo).

The engines I have in mind (and in the garage :-) would be either 1372 cc engine ( 80,5x67,4 ) or 1300 cc ( 86,4 x 55,5 ). Fiat/Lancia SOHC.

The 1372 cc (1,4 Tipo) has bigger displacement and longer stroke which, in my opinion, would be better for such purpose.
On the other hand the 1300 engine ( X1/9, Lancia Delta,etc.) seems to be more popular among tuners and also racing parts suppliers.
Of course I have seen great info and photos on GCRE site regarding preparation of the 1300 Fiat SOHC head.
This makes me wonder if the similar work would produce equally good results with 1,4 engine or the 1,3 engine is just better for tuning?

I apologise if my post is too long or confusing,
Best Regards, Drazen
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Hi Drazen!

Nothing wrong with your post at all!

My choice - go with the Fiat 1.4 Tipo 8v. There is little difference from the earlier SOHC X19/128 engines, great little engine, AND - big plus point, all the OE parts are easy to get from Fiat!

I have a 1.4 Tipo head in my worsk, it has just the same potential as the things you have been reading on my site (by the way thank you very much for your kind comments)

Availabilty is a major issue with the earlier SOHC Fiat engines, anything pre Uno is a nighmare to find - OE type (cast) pistons, rods, good gaskets, water pump, bearings, etc., and of course they are so old now, that, apart from anything else, the corrosion of exhaust side of the block and combustion chambers/head can be a major problem. The old X19 1300 in particular is a major problem, sometimes the head studs are so corroded you cannot get the head off at all.

All the raceparts you might need can be readily obtained thru me or other sources too.

GC
alfa75ba

Fiat 1400 or 1300 engine

Post by alfa75ba »

Hi Guy,
thanks a lot for your fast and helpfull answer.
1,4 engine it will be. Actually I am already driving this engine, but almost OE spec, except bigger 39 mm inlet valves and mildly ported head.
Of course with this setup I cannot keep up with fully tuned 1300 in my class, but this is going to change over the winter :-)
A lot to learn and a lot to do.
Thanks again for your time and help and for the one of the best Forums on the net

Best regards, Drazen