Fiat 131 rallycar (UK club spec)

Post pics of your car in here
alan131

Fiat 131 rallycar (UK club spec)

Post by alan131 »

I have been rallying a 131 sport on various tarmac rallies over the last couple of years and thought some of the modifications and ideas might be of use to someone else.

CAR TECHNICAL DETAILS.
This Fiat 131 rallycar was built for club level motorsport and does not conform to historic regs.

ENGINE. 2 Ltr Fiat 8v block with 16v head conversion. It uses standard crank pistons and rods, with competition cams and throttle bodies. Engine is run on a MBE ECU that triggers off a ‘Ford’ toothed trigger wheel on a modified front pulley. A big wing sump and oil cooler is fitted. This engine was approx 217 BHP before one of the cast pistons disintegrated and wrecked the engine after 5 seasons. (As guy says cast pistons don’t last forever !)
A new engine is being built at the moment with steel rods and forged pistons.

TRANSMISSION. Fiat bellhousing with adapter plate to a Ford 5 speed gearbox fitted with a close ratio gearkit. 2.8 Capri propshaft to 2.8 Capri Atlas axle with plate LSD. The clutch is a competition paddle plate with ford splines.

SUSPENSION. Front, modified adjustable Ford Sierra struts with Bilstien inserts, spherical top mounts. Rear, Adjustable coilovers with bodyshell spring platforms removed.

BRAKES. Front 2WD Sierra Cosworth calipers with vented discs fitted on Ford hubs. Rear, Ford calipers with vented discs. Adjustable bias pedalbox. Handbrake uses standard ford caliper cable system for legality, plus vertical hydraulic handbrake for competition.

OTHER. Vauxhall Corsa Electric power steering is fitted. A Toyota GT4 (I think) radiator is fitted which is a easy conversion with the hose outlets in the correct positions.
There is a bit of footage on youtube (which also includes a twin engine Caterham) Epynt hillclimb 2010 (by rally139)
Attachments
A dry high grip event.
A dry high grip event.
big al rally car (Medium).JPG (57.52 KiB) Viewed 8953 times
A wet slippery event at Talbenny.
A wet slippery event at Talbenny.
Talbenny Osteer (311 x 206).jpg (18.9 KiB) Viewed 8953 times
Engine before it got wrecked!
Engine before it got wrecked!
engine bay.jpg (94.45 KiB) Viewed 8953 times
Front brake details.
Front brake details.
Front Hub with 4 piston calipers.jpg (93.71 KiB) Viewed 8873 times
Front strut detail.
Front strut detail.
Front strut with Bilstien insert.jpg (86.13 KiB) Viewed 8873 times
Inside bellhousing details.
Inside bellhousing details.
Bellhousing, release bearing, Ford input shaft.jpg (57.91 KiB) Viewed 8873 times
Last edited by alan131 on January 24th, 2012, 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Fiat 131 rallycar (UK club spec)

Post by Guy Croft »

Good to see you and car here Al after a long absence!

G
Biancorally

Post by Biancorally »

Hi Alan,
I really appreciate the changes made ​​to your car.
Could you post some pictures of the suspension and brakes, I do not recall the Ford design, thanks.

Regards

Daniel
GC_17
mitch strada

Post by mitch strada »

Would love to see and hear it in action, fantastic car.
alan131

Post by alan131 »

Daniel I have added some pictures for now, I will add some better pictures when I have the car re-assembled and the parts have been cleaned.

Regards
AL
Biancorally

Post by Biancorally »

Hi Alan,

wonderful, I love the combination of different parts you used (all that unusual) suspension, brakes, gearbox input shaft, engine naturally also.

I look forward to your next pictures.

Many thanks

Regards Daniel
GC_17
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

I've had several quite serious enquiries recently from folk wanting to do what Miro has done (as shown in this site) and create a Gp4 replica from a 131.

The question of rear suspension and drivetrain is always raised and your conversion interests me:

"TRANSMISSION. Fiat bellhousing with adapter plate to a Ford 5 speed gearbox fitted with a close ratio gearkit. 2.8 Capri propshaft to 2.8 Capri Atlas axle with plate LSD"

Be delighted to hear how this was done and what it all looks like,

G
alan131

Post by alan131 »

Hi Guy. The reason I went for the Ford 2.8 capri axle was that it is one of the atlas family for which it is 'reasonably' priced to get a limited slip diff and I also wanted to use Ford PCD rims front and back. The only problem with this setup is I had to fit a brace across the axle tubes and diff housing to prevent it twisting and this reduces the suspension travel available without major surgery to the shell. I will get some more pictures when I have a bit of time.
Regards
Al