130TC head on 131 2l Block

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
Jonny

130TC head on 131 2l Block

Post by Jonny »

I have the following spec engine in my Morris 1000:

2l TC from 131 Mirafiori Sport with Abarth extended gearshift
DHLA 40s on "London" manifold
Tubular 4-2-1 straight through exhaust
Lightened (slightly) flywheel

I have rebuilt the engine (thanks for advice GC!), but have not made any alterations to the head.

I now want to improve power and - because this car is a daily driver - want to build a head on the bench and swap over on a weekend. I am aiming for 150 bhp

I have the opportunity to purchase a complete 130TC unit.

Can I put the 130TC head on the 2l 131 block? (book suggests so)
Would this be a better starting point head-wise?
What other bits could I swap from the 130 TC (cams?)

Thanks in advance.

Jonny
Attachments
morris engine small.jpg
morris engine small.jpg (123.4 KiB) Viewed 5097 times
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Hello Jonny

you could change over the whole thing, but read about piston to valve clearances first at:

http://guy-croft.com/viewtopic.php?t=14

(The 130TC head has 43.5mm inlet valves compared with 42mm on the 131 head).

Use the 130TC cams, sure, they seem to survive and retain their 10mm lift better than the 131, and I have seen 131 2 liter cams with only 9.5mm lift, whereas they are supposed to have 9.9mm nominal. But be careful with the inlet because the Strada inlet cam has an end drive distributor and has no oil bleed hole in the rear cam journal. It will flood the rear end plate and burst the gasket if you just cut off the distributor drive slot and blank off the cam box end and its associated oil drain slot. Better to keep the distributor housing and blank that see below, core plug and Araldite will do.

The 130TC head will give much more torque and power - both standard and modified. It is not a big job to modify, radius the short side radius (it doesn't have much of short-side region and it is quite bumpy), open up the inlet ports, do a nice valve seat job with inlet 30 deg back grind and you're going to get the sort of flow I have posted below. Rebuild the head completely and use new springs. That head could be up to 23 years old. Actual torque and BHP, don't care to make an estimate at this time, need to see the final spec, but really worthwhile increases.
Attachments
Representative GC flowtests of standard and modified 131 2 liter heads and modified 130TC. Not saying these are ultimate.
Representative GC flowtests of standard and modified 131 2 liter heads and modified 130TC. Not saying these are ultimate.
std & mod 131 head vs mod 130TC.JPG (52.44 KiB) Viewed 5090 times
Distributor mounting plate as 130TC blanked off. Not need to cut the drive off the cam.
Distributor mounting plate as 130TC blanked off. Not need to cut the drive off the cam.
KR inlet cambox blanked.jpg (111.71 KiB) Viewed 5091 times
sumplug

Post by sumplug »

Guy.
when is it advantagous to change the 40 carbs of the 130Tc for 45's? What sort of flow rate do the 40's lose out to bigger carbs?

Andy.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Guy,

How thick is that inlet blanking arrangement compared to the exhaust one? I might have a clearance issue and may have to put the battery in the boot.
thank you

Jonny
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

First buy your engine!

GC