Engine Oil in the spark plugs of my Vauxhall Frontera

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
Mykel

Engine Oil in the spark plugs of my Vauxhall Frontera

Post by Mykel »

Please find decent pictures in the post below - sorry!

Hello Guy,

I have a 1999 (V Plate) Vauxhall Frontera 3.2 v6. The car started to misfire when driving it, so I went to change the spark plugs - they were in very poor condition and there was oil in there. My car does not appear to be burning oil - there is no smoke or smell. I believe the problem may be the rocker cover gasket (please correct me if I am wrong - I am very much an amateur). When you look at my engine from the front it is the spark plugs on the right hand side. My local merchant gave me the gasket set (in the picture), however I do not think this is right. I have 3 plugs each side and this gasket looks as though it is for a 4 cylinder, I double checked it with the merchant and they said that the part numbers are correct. I would just take it apart, but if it is the wrong gasket my car will be laid up. (It is my only mode of transport and I work nights so the only time I can do the job it is at the weekend: when motor factors are closed! Plus I live on the Isle of Wight- beautiful, but a nightmare as my car parts are special order!) Any advice given will be very much appreciated.

With thanks for time,

Mykel
Last edited by Mykel on July 26th, 2010, 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Engine Oil in the spark plugs of my Vauxhall Frontera

Post by Guy Croft »

The photo doesn't show anything useful - look at it yourself!

I am lost with this one,regret to say, without good photos of the spark plug location relative to the rocker covers.

G
4v6

Post by 4v6 »

I would be inclined to take the supplied gasket back, get a refund and then contact a vauxhall dealer with your chassis number and vehicle reg to enable the correct part to be supplied, they would at least get it right id have thought.
Obviously that part in the photo is for a 4 cylinder motor and not a v6.
Tony Warren. GC #96.
Mykel

Post by Mykel »

Thanks Guy, you are right terrible pic! I will remove the pic from that post. They are here now!

Mykel
Attachments
The gaskets that were recommended
The gaskets that were recommended
002.jpg (33.25 KiB) Viewed 5835 times
looking at the engine it is the plugs on the right that fill with oil.
looking at the engine it is the plugs on the right that fill with oil.
003.jpg (60.76 KiB) Viewed 5835 times
The problem side.
The problem side.
004.jpg (53.31 KiB) Viewed 5835 times
Mykel

Post by Mykel »

Thank you Tony, I'm pleased you think that too, I shall definately take it back now.

Mykel
Mykel

Post by Mykel »

Hello,

I just wanted to thank you for your help with my very "low brow" problem. I got the correct gasket and have now fitted it.....now the cat has gone...!!

Thanks,

Mykel