HELP REQUIRED WITH Fiat Uno Turbo/X 1/9 Ignition

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
Walter Lima

HELP REQUIRED WITH Fiat Uno Turbo/X 1/9 Ignition

Post by Walter Lima »

Hello from across the pond,

I'm currently in the process of upgrading my 1977 Fiat X 1/9 1.3L motor to an Uno turbo 1.3L motor I acquired and had shipped to Canada.
(will post photo once I can take one right sized)
The year of the motor is unknown, but it has a Microplex MED604B ECU (green label)
The Uno's ignition system is a good system, but if the system fails, the unavailability of parts in Canada means sourcing parts in Europe, resulting in repair delays.
I'm looking for Fiat alternatives to the Uno's ignition set up, which would allow for readily available Fiat parts in North America to repair same.
Would an ignition system off a fuel injected X 1/9 work with this Uno turbo motor?

thank you,

Walter
Last edited by Walter Lima on March 20th, 2010, 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Fiat Uno Turbo/X 1/9 Conversion-Alternate Ignition Systems

Post by Guy Croft »

I'm sorry Walter, I do not know really, which is why this post is sitting lonely in GC Q&A.

CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE?

GC
Dallarax19

Re: HELP REQUIRED WITH Fiat Uno Turbo/X 1/9 Ignition

Post by Dallarax19 »

Hi Walter.
The ignition Ecu from a fuel injected X1/9 will not work. The Uno Turbo engine needs a Ecu that can read positive pressure ( boost ), the X1/9 Ecu can not read boost.
Because of the turbo / boost the ignition curves are also different, the Ecu retards the ignition from the point of max torque and on.
I have had 4 Uno Turbos, all of them modified, and have had no trouble with the ignition Ecu. It is a solid unit - but take care with the multi connector plug, it has to bee waterproof.
If parts are hard to source in Canada, I would look into replacing it with a Megasquirt / spark unit, it is pretty easy to use, with good support, and is cheap.
If you decide to continue using the Microplex, I think I have 2 complete Uno Turbo engines, with both ignition and fuel ecu`s, that I don`t need.

I hope this helps.

thank you Hans-Petter
Walter Lima

Post by Walter Lima »

Hello Hans-Petter,

I apologize for the late reply. Thanks for your post, your comments compliment what research I have done so far. I will use the Uno's ecu system for sure.
Are the engines you have mk 1 or 2?

thank you,

Walter

I've edited your post Walter, please use the site upload facility - not Photoshop!

G
Attachments
Uno.jpg
Uno.jpg (295.15 KiB) Viewed 6743 times
Unorebuild5-1.jpg
Unorebuild5-1.jpg (122.07 KiB) Viewed 6743 times
Dallarax19

Post by Dallarax19 »

Hi Walter.
The engines are Mk1, 1301 ccm.
Good luck with the conversion.

Best regards
Hans-Petter
Walter Lima

Post by Walter Lima »

Hello Hans-Petter

At this time I will not be acquiring any additional motors, but will keeps yours in mind for any future needs.(if they're still available then)

thank you,

Walter