Tipo 2.0 16v intake swap to Lancia V.I.S.

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
proteje

Tipo 2.0 16v intake swap to Lancia V.I.S.

Post by proteje »

The car: Fiat Tipo 2.0 16v 1994 3 doors (LHD - Israel).
I'm at restoration stage after an accident and I was thinking about few improvements.
I've got my hands on Lancia Thema parts including intake manifold (VIS).
Will I get improvement in low rev range if I swap to V.I.S.?
Will this effect at high revs output?

Thanks in advance
Max.
Rich Ellingham

Re: Tipo 2.0 16v intake swap to Lancia V.I.S.

Post by Rich Ellingham »

Any change in induction flow characteristics must be matched by recalibration of the engine, effects may not be clear or consistent if things are just changed and retried with standard ECU calibration. Can you post a photograph of the manifold, I know Guy has tested a few variation of manifold for the Fiat 16v maybe one them could be the one you have?

Rich
book 38
Honza
Location: Lomnice nad Popelkou (60 north from Prague), Czech Republic

Post by Honza »

It will need ECU recalibration, because of larger airflow in high RPM.

I swapped standard Fiat 16V Coupe manifold for a Lancia Kappa 16V turbo (it is similar like shorter and straighter part of V.I.S) and the change was noticable - peak torque moved up to 5500 RPM, top end power is incredible - no rapid power decrease over 7500RPM as it was with standard manifold.

Up to 4000 rpm it seemed that the torque was weaker in comparsion with standard 16v Coupe manifold - this is the reason why Lancia used V.I.S system - longer part (similar to 16v coupe..) improved torque at low revs..

If I compare Thema V.I.S engine with normal 16v (Tipo, etc.), Thema has smaller intake valves (according to my notes 30mm) in comparsion with Tipo/Coupe 16v. With the Tipo 16v head, there could be interesting power increase.

Power and torque figures are:

Thema V.I.S 112kW/6500rpm 180Nm/4000
Tipo 16V 107kW/6250rpm 173Nm/5000
102kW/6000rpm 180Nm/4500

Conclusion:

You could get max. torque bit earlier with broader band and bigger power in higher rpm with V.I.S manifold. But I don't know details about that swap - because Thema uses a different ECU. It would maybe need swap of the ecu & wiring loom... but I think that the V.I.S system is actuated only via intake vacuum like BRAVO HGT VIS...
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Nice thread BUT I am utterly lost here in my own GC Q&A!

Could someone PLEASE upload some pictures of these parts!

GC
proteje

Post by proteje »

Honza wrote: Conclusion:

You could get max. torque bit earlier with broader band and bigger power in higher rpm with V.I.S manifold. But I don't know details about that swap - because Thema uses a different ECU. It would maybe need swap of the ecu & wiring loom... but I think that the V.I.S system is actuated only via intake vacuum like BRAVO HGT VIS...
Thanks, I've read your post about N/A Coupe intake swap.
So, I'll check more for compatibility and I'll update if the project will be held.
Guy Croft wrote:Nice thread BUT I am utterly lost here in my own GC Q&A!
Could someone PLEASE upload some pictures of these parts!
GC
I'll upload pictures as soon as I get to garage.
I tried to find similar pictures on the web but with no success.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Pictures copied from the net without written permission of the copyright holder would be a breach of Forum Protocols.

GC