Fiat / Lancia 2ltr Twin-Cam

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
80BSY

Fiat / Lancia 2ltr Twin-Cam

Post by 80BSY »

Dear GC,
I realise this is quite a big question, especially when it's my first ever post, but I cannot seem to be able to find the imformation I need generally on the web. I need something more than a guess, so am hoping you can help me through this.
I have a Lancia 2ltr engine, mated to a VW Beetle gearbox, fitted in the back of my Sandrail. The Lancia engine has been uprighted in order to do this. What I need to know is, what parts do I need from a Fiat 2ltr engine to enable me to run the Lancia engine safely now it's upright (Engine is sitting with the cam-belt to the rear of the car). Fundamentally, what are the differences between the two engines. My Lancia engine seems to be in good condition, so worth working on, I also now have a complete Fiat 2ltr engine, although not that great to use for parts. Will post pictures soon, should they be of interest, as it's far nicer than the discription may make it sound.
I will be very grateful for this information, it is the last thing before the Sandrail is completly finished.
Hope you can help me..........Bob
Fingers

Re: Fiat / Lancia 2ltr Twin-Cam

Post by Fingers »

Hi there, sounds like a good project, I'm sure you'll get a few more people helping you out, but as far as I know you'll only really need the cam boxes off an upright Fiat engine and the sump and oilpump pickup, oh and inlet manifold if the Lancia one is on an angle too. Do you know the original vehicles the engines were out of? That'll help too
Book # 34
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

The donor unit will be Lancia Beta where the engine was tilted towards the bulkhead at 20 deg.

Take the ex cambox off and, inside, drill each of the 2 oil drain towers @ dia typically 6mm thru in 3 places on each one to lower the oil level, otherwise it will be way too high. The inlet ones are OK albeit a bit shorter than the Fiat.

See photo - the holes should be where the arrows point - just below the angled bit.

That's all at the top end. The sump and oil pump from the 2 liter should be used. You need the Fiat (RWD) inlet and carb, don't try using the Lancia setup - angles and carb orientation wrong.

I imagine the gearbox input shaft doesn't locate in the end of the crank?

FWIW I would like photos please. I try my best with GC Q&A but no photos makes it dull reading for other users. This is, after all, GC Q&A not Wikipedia.
It does state this in guidelines for GC Q&A (and always has) see (with reasons):

http://guy-croft.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=833

G
Attachments
Lancia cambox oil drain mod.JPG
Lancia cambox oil drain mod.JPG (41.07 KiB) Viewed 8679 times
miro-1980

Post by miro-1980 »

Gents ,

I have bought camboxes from New Zeland last year for my 131 and had to make sure these were not for tilted engines. So I made few pictures with notations on them .

this one is OK .jpg
this one is OK .jpg (22.89 KiB) Viewed 8623 times
Note the numbers:
C.jpg
C.jpg (40.94 KiB) Viewed 8623 times
Also note the shape of oil flow openings.

Important is the shape of the side ....
A.jpg
A.jpg (34.86 KiB) Viewed 8623 times
Separate issue is the shape of oil channels on the bottom (that go on the head). I am not sure if Lancia beta head will fir the non tilted cam boxes oil channels. Maybe someone on this Forum here has this knowledge or access to both engines to check.
03-12-09_1402.jpg
03-12-09_1402.jpg (24.23 KiB) Viewed 8623 times
B.jpg
B.jpg (33.17 KiB) Viewed 8623 times

Hope I got it right and these pictures will help.

Miro
Last edited by miro-1980 on February 28th, 2010, 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.Fiat-abarth-rally.com
GC_93
80BSY

Post by 80BSY »

Hi GC,
Am very grateful for you explaining the things I must change and alter, and also taking the trouble to post the picture of the cam carrier so it will be clear for me to do. It already has Fiat inlet manifold, although I have now obtained a set of Dellorto twin 40's for it. Apologies for not posting pictures at the time of initial question, I realise I should of, but was a little anxious just to get it posted and didn't have a USB cable with me at work. Please see attached pictures and I will be very grateful of any opinions or suggestions you may have. Thanks again, Bob
Attachments
Photo0095 (400 x 300).jpg
Photo0095 (400 x 300).jpg (45.25 KiB) Viewed 8268 times
Photo0096 (400 x 300).jpg
Photo0096 (400 x 300).jpg (46.51 KiB) Viewed 8268 times
Photo0114 (400 x 300).jpg
Photo0114 (400 x 300).jpg (48.79 KiB) Viewed 8268 times
Last edited by 80BSY on February 2nd, 2010, 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

No pleasing me is there?!

Please edit photos down to under 400kb

'Pixresizer' is available on he web,I use it all the time.

thanks,

GC
80BSY

Post by 80BSY »

Sorry GC,
I've not ignored what you said, I'm doing my best to correct things and will post as requested in future. Please bare with me.
Bob