High oil pressure

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
mdburchette

High oil pressure

Post by mdburchette »

I am wondering if it is necessary for a Fiat twin cam 1608 to have such high oil pressure. I have a newly rebuilt engine that is showing 80 lbs of pressure at idle and goes up to 90 lbs while revving during break in. The previous 1608 we built has had high oil pressure as well, so I don't think it is due to too tight of tolerances or a blockage.
GC_40
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: High oil pressure

Post by Guy Croft »

No, it's so high I anticipate the oil pump shaft shearing under the strain, or the cam seals blowing out/leaking.

These engines will run 'forever and a day' if provided with a continuous flow of oil at 55psi (hot) and that would typically be a higher figure when cold, say 65-70psi and of course the pressure drops as the oil warms up.

The output of the gear pumps goes up-and-down with speed, 15-20psi is perfectly adequate at hot idle, say 25-30 on cold start, I've wouldn't really want higher than 70psi hot at high rpm (6000+) and I have run engines with that figure.

I suspect the relief valve spring is either wrong or has been packed up too much,

GC
mdburchette

Post by mdburchette »

Thank you for your response, Guy. I understand, by the owner's manual, that high oil pressure is not unusual (55-75psi). We replaced the oil pump on the initial build and had a problem with it seizing, which caused the auxilliary shaft to seize and damage the #2 rod bolt by hitting the fuel pump lobe. We replaced the oil pump with another new one.
I'll keep an eye on the oil pressure to see what happens.
GC_40
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

I'm not suggesting that you necessarily caused the breakage Denise, I know how careful you are, but I'll just remarkthat it's vital to rotate the aux shaft while you are bolting up the pump - this is true of all the TC and SOHC models except those with crank-nose driven types - there are no dowels to locate the pump body accurately co-axial with the driven gear (that runs off the aux d/s) and if the pump shaft is out of alignment and thus tight/binding in the bronze bush in the block it will shear sooner or later.
Attachments
turn this pulley on the auxiliary driveshaft while bolting up the pump
turn this pulley on the auxiliary driveshaft while bolting up the pump
DM Vx aux ds pulley and front end parts going on.jpg (109.56 KiB) Viewed 4466 times
all TC engines of 79.2mm or 90mm stroke are at risk if you don't cut off the fuel lobe (and run an electric pump instead..) because it can hit No2 con rod unless the pulley (above is timed in synchronicity with the crank - which can be impossible to determine if you swap the pulley to a different one (eg from a front-flanged one to a rear flanged one)
all TC engines of 79.2mm or 90mm stroke are at risk if you don't cut off the fuel lobe (and run an electric pump instead..) because it can hit No2 con rod unless the pulley (above is timed in synchronicity with the crank - which can be impossible to determine if you swap the pulley to a different one (eg from a front-flanged one to a rear flanged one)
DM Vx aux ds mod.jpg (116.78 KiB) Viewed 4466 times
you've got to get the pump centered on the shaft as you bolt it down
you've got to get the pump centered on the shaft as you bolt it down
DM Vx 012.jpg (110.44 KiB) Viewed 4466 times
early pumps - like the 1608 have a nasty stress-raiser where shown and this is generally where they will fracture
early pumps - like the 1608 have a nasty stress-raiser where shown and this is generally where they will fracture
stress raiser on early pump.JPG (51.81 KiB) Viewed 4466 times
put the pump in a drill or lathe and polish the offending region with coarse and then fine carborundum paper till it has a generous, smooth radius. There should be no visible scratches when you've finished - they'd be propagation areas for cracks..
put the pump in a drill or lathe and polish the offending region with coarse and then fine carborundum paper till it has a generous, smooth radius. There should be no visible scratches when you've finished - they'd be propagation areas for cracks..
pump shaft polished to generate a decent radius and thus remove stress concentration.jpg (121.8 KiB) Viewed 4466 times