1592 Top End Build

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion

1592 Top End Build

Post by 1976124 »

I am finally getting around to putting together the top end of my 1592 that I bought from Don T a few years back. The block has 9.8 to one pistons, balanced rods, 80.4mm bore, fresh polished and balanced crank, rings, NOS quality bearings all around (Std), pinned crank and a crank scraper.

For the head I have a 1756 which has been previously ported and matched by Ray Mortensen out here in the NW. Intake is matched to the head with an 80 grit finish throughout. Carb. will be a 34/36 DFEV and ignition is a Crane XR700. Exhaust is a 4-2-1 stock set up.

Where I get a little fuzzy is cam selection. This will go in a 76 Spider that is driven mostly around town, so drivability is a must on pump gas; premium is fine, which is about 92 Octane out here in the NW. I don’t want a lumpy idle that shakes the mirrors at lights!

After reading theories and thoughts from so many on various forums as well as this one a mild increase to the intake seems to be a popular choice. I would also like to get adj cam pulleys so I don’t have to compromise on timing anymore. I doubt either the head or the block have been machined enough to really get the timing off but it’s nice to know for sure!

Looking for suggestions on a cam selection, NEW adj cam pulley sources, and flywheel /clutch selection as well. I know the 1592 employs the 10 MM bolts, so I will need to source a 1592 fly wheel. Any other thoughts are welcome that would help me optimize this motor before it goes in!

Thank you
1976 124 17 yrs,
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: 1592 Top End Build

Post by Guy Croft »

Cams - My advice is get something like the billet 40/80 that is popular Stateside, around 10.3-10.6mm valve lift, keep the OE standard ex cam. That will give you a great torque curve for street.

FWIW I have explored cam 'mixes' quite extensively, you don't have to run 'like for like'. On the TC the ex flow is very good and you don't need loads of ex lift at TDC or anywhere else, not tons of overlap - not for a torquey street motor anyhow.

Read the sections in the GC V/W on timing and fitting, eg: 'doing the cam timing', plenty of photos and GC 'How To' stuff to help you there:

http://guy-croft.com/viewforum.php?f=3

As for adj cam pulleys just about everyone on the planet makes them (now...) I was the first (after the late Camillo Alquati..)

GC

Post by 1976124 »

Thanks Guy for the info. I know there are a lot of Adj. cams wheels out there, but most look like reworked OEM wheels and none look at cool (yes that is important too) as the one I see on your site.

Does anyone sell just one cam for the TC motor? I know you do guy, but the exachange rate is certainly not in my favor on that.

Thanks
1976 124 17 yrs,
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Wishing no offence (esp to this member) and for the general edification of readers I just want to say this at this juncture:

This 'exchange rate' thing is wearing a 'bit thin'. I have been fighting currency fluctuations for years, GCRE depends on export so there is nothing worse than offering technical advice here only to have my advice used to 'buy locally' because of exchange rate. Can you imagine my situation where US made rods and pistons are in_transit to the UK and the £ plummets in value even before they are paid for?

The pound was as high as $2.10 a year ago, and is now down to the lowest level against the US dollar (and virtually every other currency) since 2003. All the forecasts I have read indicate it will go up.

GC