Volumex spider with 2.0l 8v delta turbo piston ?

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
Chrisvx

Volumex spider with 2.0l 8v delta turbo piston ?

Post by Chrisvx »

Hi from Athens,Greece

3 years ago I bought from you some parts for my pininfarina spider volumex , maybe you remember me .

I open the volumex motor because of crank bearings problem . Can I change the piston with delta 8 v. 2.0 l. turbo ?

The cylinderhead is blueprinted with new guides and verniers from you . I change the inlet cam with argenta 2.0 l injection .

I have another problem with my 40 dcnf convertion , I have 28 chokes on it, but sometimes when I push the gaspedal very fastly , I have a big gap (pooling effect?). When I turn to the left it occurs more often , very embarassing when I am cornering.

I change settings main jet /air but no difference . Maybe my needle valve is too big ( 300)
or I have to change to IDF carb 40 or 44 .
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Volumex spider with 2.0l 8v delta turbo piston ?

Post by Guy Croft »

For starters Christos the DCNF doesn't work well in 'North-South' configuration (ie: RWD), it is a FWD/transverse carb. The float orientation is wrong. An IDF 40 would be better (I'm pretty sure of what I say but would welcome other comment).

More later,

G
Chrisvx

Post by Chrisvx »

Happy to see your opinion Mr Croft, maybe the problem is my bearingcrank failure , who "stopped" the car.
Testament

Post by Testament »

Since its Volumex the mounting can be either way unlike 1 throat be cyl n/a setups. so the carb has to be the right one for the orientation of the supercharger inlet elbow. if it's an original spider volumex the cast elbow I think it's oriented for the barrels to be transverse as it probably had something like a weber ADF.

could you post a picture chris?
tmvolumex

Re: Fiat 124 Volumex spider with DCNF carb

Post by tmvolumex »

Christos,
Since you stated that you have a Fiat 124 Spider Volumex, I assume you mounted the DCNF to the factory carb intake manifold. Doing this would mount the DCNF 90 degrees to its intended orientation. As Guy mentioned, DCNF carbs are designed to be mounted on transverse engines. Transverse mounting puts the throttle shaft of the DCNF perpendicular to the line of travel of the car. If it will fit, you could locate and install a Fiat131 Volumex carb intake manifold and mount the DCNF to that. The 131 Volumex manifold has the carb throats oriented correctly for a DCNF / Volumex arrangement mounted on an inline (not transverse) engine. IE the 131 Volumex manifold has the carb openings rotated 90 degrees compared with the 124 Spider Volumex. The 131 manifold may not fit in the 124 engine bay and that may be why Abarth made the 124 manifold different. Guy does have a picture of a 131 Volumex engine on his site.
Tom
GC_31
Chrisvx

Post by Chrisvx »

My Volumex is an original car, I will send a picture soon . Thanks for the reply .
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

The Vx piston is a unique style, you just can't use any other due to the big cc volume (53-55cc) and if you asked me to supply they would be and established GC.CP design & forged.

GC
Chrisvx

Post by Chrisvx »

Finally I change the crankshaft bearings , without opening the cylinderhead . The engine run smoothly , the crankshaft didn't have any damage ,now I am waiting to see how long this repair will last ...

For the carb I'll go for 40 idf or 44 ?
Attachments
P1010115_resize.JPG
P1010115_resize.JPG (230.37 KiB) Viewed 7594 times
P1010116_resize.JPG
P1010116_resize.JPG (215.65 KiB) Viewed 7594 times