Skoda 136 cylinder head gasket failure

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
djaychela

Skoda 136 cylinder head gasket failure

Post by djaychela »

Hi Guy

I have a 1.3 Skoda 136 engine in my felicia rally car, and the engine has just been rebuilt, retaining the previous Piper 285 Cam profile (timed to 108 degrees, as pre-rebuild), but with the addition of a new cylinder head and increased compression ratio (up from 10:1 to 11.5:1). This engine has been run in for a few hours and was running well, but had not been dynoed; I am running a wideband O2 meter on it and a logging setup and the fuelling has been correctly set, but the advance is currently not set up and has been set conservatively less than the previous (dyno-set) settings, awaiting a dyno run.

However, on Saturday the engine started to run poorly, feeling like it was semi-missing on one cylinder, and a compression test showed cylinder 1 to only be compressing to 6 bar, while the others were at 13 bar. As I've had to remove the engine and gearbox to replace the input shaft oil seal on the gearbox, I removed the head, and found that the head gasket looked to be in very poor condition - on one side of the cylinders only, with all four cylinders affected by this, but looking clear where No.1 was losing compression; the liner protrusions are still within spec, and examination of the gasket shows that they have left a good impression on it, but the appearance of it worries me; the pistons and head are both in good condition. Cylinder head gasket was a pattern one (due to postal damage of the OEM one, and my error for not waited another week, I guess), but i have OEM (Temac) ones here now. Cylinder head is unwarped.

Looking at the photos of the head and the gasket, is there anything you can suggest or recommend?
Marking on head from gasket failure?
Marking on head from gasket failure?
skoda_head_fail_1.jpg (24.05 KiB) Viewed 4722 times
Cylinder Head Gasket
Cylinder Head Gasket
skoda_head_fail_2.jpg (19.06 KiB) Viewed 4722 times
Cylinder Head Gasket, No.1 cylinder
Cylinder Head Gasket, No.1 cylinder
skoda_head_fail_3.jpg (20.02 KiB) Viewed 4722 times
Many thanks as ever

Darren
Darren
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Skoda 136 cylinder head gasket failure

Post by Guy Croft »

It's detonating

GC
djaychela

Post by djaychela »

Hi Guy

Thanks. Is it possible that the lack of valve stem seals on this head would contribute to it, with oil contaminating the fuel and lowering the octane?

Darren
Darren
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

No, that's a old 'legend', that one, sorry. You need an awful lot of oil to do that.

G