Advice or experience with moving alternator

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
swilkes

Advice or experience with moving alternator

Post by swilkes »

I run a 1984 2L Lancia Beta Coupe (8V) and compete in "Road the Houses" road regularity events. I have been making a few improvements to the car (with a budget in mind) and I have received help doing a number of improvements to the car using the Guy Croft workshop manual as a guide (e.g. fly wheel lightened and rebalanced, con rods polished and shot peened, new domed pistons, baffled standard Beta sump, all oil ways improved, head ported and 4-2-1 extractors installed, and other). I have recently been able to acquire a set of 45 DCOE side draft carburettors and inlet manifold. However, I now see that the alternator is in the way of the installation (note that the inlet faces the front of the car). The car had an air-conditioner (which I have removed), and I was considering moving the alternator to the mounting bracket formerly used by the air conditioner (just below the power steering pump). I searched your forums and found no information regarding the viability of doing this (please provide a link if I missed any entries). Does anyone have any experience with this problem and any suggestions or information that may assist with a solution. Any help will be welcome before I commence on the project (if this is in fact the right thing to do). Thanks for your time. PS This is my first post on this forum and I am new to performance competition and modifications (I hope this post is appropriate and pitched at the correct level - please let me know if this is not the case). Shane
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Advice or experience with moving alternator

Post by Guy Croft »

I think the not-so-simple answer might be to get rid of the PAS too try and get hold of a non-aircon oil filter housing and top bracket from another Beta model.

Sales and wants might bring one up, the one shown is the M10 pivot bolt type (there was a 12mm one too) and is minus top bracket and the threaded 3/4" unf male-male filter union. See also P201 GC book.

If you are keeping PAS I have no idea, sorry.

GC
Attachments
Lancia Beta OFH 001.jpg
Lancia Beta OFH 001.jpg (111.15 KiB) Viewed 4054 times
Lancia Beta OFH 002.jpg
Lancia Beta OFH 002.jpg (113.73 KiB) Viewed 4054 times
swilkes

Re: Advice or experience with moving alternator

Post by swilkes »

Thanks Guy, I appreciate the information and time you have put in for me. Managed to solve the problem this weekend. I have posted some images for other readers (if they are working on a staged program of engine improvements as I am). Basically I acquired a smaller alternator and made up some brackets to attach it below the power steering pump. Works a treat. You point is taken that I really need to get rid of the PAS (robs the engine of power I presume and thats just undoing all the good work). I think my next issue is removing the PAS. I assume this is not simply a case of removing the pump and hoses. I will do a bit of my own research before posting any questions regarding this issue. Thanks once again.
Attachments
The Bracket
The Bracket
100_5667_small.JPG (146.85 KiB) Viewed 3996 times
The Location
The Location
100_5672_small.JPG (146.36 KiB) Viewed 3996 times