Performance question.

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
Henry

Performance question.

Post by Henry »

Is there any improvement in performance just by lightened the flywheel and resurfacing the head on a 2.0 FI.?
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Performance question.

Post by Guy Croft »

There will be a marginal increase in acceleration from FW lightening which - depending how light you go - you may not even notice - though the op must be done with care to ensure adequate radii and metal thickness in the critical central region and moreover the crank removed and the items balanced individually and then together. In the case of cast iron FW I do not lighten for better acceleration so much as to take some of the load off the bolts. I suspect you will not want to do this, and as for performance gain from milling the head - absolutely not unless you mill a huge amount off it in which case you will machine right thru the inlet valve seats (unless comprehensively recut first), find the tensioner won't tighten the belt effectively and the pistons may hit the valves. In short - head milling should - in my view, only ever (on any head) be confined to the minimum to get it flat.

GC
Henry

Re: Performance question.

Post by Henry »

Thank you very much for your answer!

What will be the best way to improve low end performance? My car works fine only in 2nd a 3rd gear pat 2500 to 3000 rpm. first gear very slow and weak.