Fitting DCOE carbs to left hand drive 124 spider

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
karhawk

Fitting DCOE carbs to left hand drive 124 spider

Post by karhawk »

I may be interested in fitting DCOE carburators to a L hand drive 124 spider, however there are fitment issues with the brake master cylinder and booster. Removing the booster would help as would modifying the runners on the DCOE manifold. (the manifolds available here in the U.S.are roughly similar to Guy's 131 model manifold without the offset for a engine mounted distributor ).
What would be the disadvantages of shortening the intake manifold by cutting off the carb flanges, shortening the runners by 1" or so and welding the flanges back on? Would the shorter intake tubes interfere with the atomization of the fuel/air mixture?
Does anybody have a picture of this type conversion? It seems rare here in the U.S. because of the fitment issues.

Thanks

Chris Saul
Oakland, Ca.
1975 124 spider
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Fitting DCOE carbs to left hand drive 124 spider

Post by Guy Croft »

This one is the holy grail. With contemporary inlet manifolds like my DCOE type M131 (offset to clear distr on block) there is only one way to do this.

Move the brake booster to the front left side of the engine bay and use a linkage to connect to the pedal assy or get rid of the booster and put two (F/R) brake master cylinders under the scuttle (works style).

I have personally explored every other means incl your ideas, using my LHD 124CSA to, er, 'practice' on. It just cannot be done any other way.

I have read your concurent thread on Mira and now my advice is get on with moving the booster!

GC
Attachments
M131 carb side.jpg
M131 carb side.jpg (111.09 KiB) Viewed 5978 times
karhawk

Post by karhawk »

Thanks Guy

That is my plan, remove the booster and try the larger diameter Alfa master cylinder. Any thoughts to shortening the intake manifold by an inch or so? Would the shorter runners affect the dcoe atomization?

Chris Saul
Oakland, Ca.
75 Fiat 124 spider
TR-Spider

Post by TR-Spider »

Don't know if you thought of such an assembly?
On our racing Volvo Amazon there is a original Volvo "in-line" brake booster, mounted in the pressure line coming from the master cylinder.
The booster itself is vacuum-driven from the intake and could be mounted "anywhere" in the brakeline.
Well almost anywhere, the drawback is that it amplyfies one line only, i.e. on a dual circuit you can boost only the front and not the rear.

Thomas
Amazone Brakebooster.jpg
Amazone Brakebooster.jpg (107.12 KiB) Viewed 5914 times
GC_23
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Fitting DCOE carbs to LHD Fiat 124 Spider

Post by Guy Croft »

It took me ages to find but this should help,

http://guy-croft.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=417

GC
karhawk

Post by karhawk »

Thanks
Interesting thread, I have inquired at 124 turbo spider for more information and will report back.
I appreciate the help

Chris Saul
Oakland, Ca,