Engine weight

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
dp

Engine weight

Post by dp »

How much does a Fiat or Lancia 8v 2.0l engine weigh please?
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Engine weight

Post by Guy Croft »

I have no data on this, sorry.

G
Uros Piperski

Post by Uros Piperski »

I don't have any data on this either, but I can say that it depends on the type of engine. The block height is different on 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 engines, blocks with balancing shafts have some extra weight too. The brackets for aux devices are various sizes and materials, 16 valve head is heavier than the 8 valve etc etc... So you really have to specify the vehicle type and maybe someone will come up with an answer.
dp

Post by dp »

It's a 2.0l 8Valve from a 1977 Lancia Beta saloon but it's aligned RWD with an Argenta sump and rwd oil pump. The head is the early type with more widely spaced cam boxes; the inlet to the right and exhaust to the left as you look at the cam wheels in RWD alignment. There is no balance shaft.

I'm not looking for the exact weight so the weight of any 2l 8V pre balance shaft unit will give me a good enough ballpark figure.

Thanks
Testament

Post by Testament »

It is around 150kg for a complete 2L motor out of a 131/132/beta
something like (approximate weights)
bare block - 50kg
crank - 17kg
rods and pistons - 5kg
complete head with cams - 25kg (maybe more?)
manifolds and carb - 10kg

107kg so far then the rest would be in bearing caps, sump, oil pump, aux. shaft, water pump, various pulleys, alternator, oil seal housings and a few other things. so I think 150kg is probably pretty close. the twin cam isn't the very lightest 4cyl around, but its not too heavy - and its very compact for a two litre.
dp

Post by dp »

Testament wrote:It is around 150kg for a complete 2L motor out of a 131/132/beta [...]
the twin cam isn't the very lightest 4cyl around, but its not too heavy - and its very compact for a two litre.
Many thanks
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Weighing by part, never thought of that.

Actual:

Block & caps 45kg
Head built less manifolds 25kg
Crank 18.5kg

GC
miro-1980

Post by miro-1980 »

Great idea.

I will be building my engine soon and will document the whole process. I will make weighing it a part of the documentation.

Once done will make this available to members.

Miro
www.Fiat-abarth-rally.com
GC_93
tmvolumex

Re: Engine weights

Post by tmvolumex »

There is an engine weight data sheet listed on the web for kit car builders etc. If you do a search using "Auotmotive engine weights" you will find the list. It was compiled by a guy named Dave Williams. The list contains a couple hundred engines. Everything from Alfa to VW. The only Fiats on the list are the Fiat Dino 2.0 and 2.4.
GC_31