1988 integrale 8v oil jets

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
Uros Piperski

1988 integrale 8v oil jets

Post by Uros Piperski »

Hi all,
I have an integrale 8v engine block getting prepared to fit in my Dedra station wagon. Before I open a thread in "readers cars" I have a quick question on the oil jets.

The oil jets in my block are just plain pipes directing oil into pistons. I am worried about the oil pressure on low revs and startup because there are no ball valves in the oil jets.
Is it possible to fit the Tipo 1.6 sohc oil jets in the integrale block? If the diameter of the jets is the same I suppose it will be an easy swap, but if not, can I use a hand drill to enlarge the holes and knock in the tipo jets?

All the best,
Uros
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: 1988 integrale 8v oil jets

Post by Guy Croft »

Photos please.

GC
Uros Piperski

Post by Uros Piperski »

I got the photos today but my camera died. Will post them tommorow evening.

Uros
Evodelta

Post by Evodelta »

I wouldn't mind a picture of a Dedra station wagon too....
Uros Piperski

Post by Uros Piperski »

I think the photos speak for themselves now:
Attachments
integrale8voiljets.jpg
integrale8voiljets.jpg (210.33 KiB) Viewed 12417 times
integrale8voiljets2.jpg
integrale8voiljets2.jpg (198.7 KiB) Viewed 12413 times
dedramontecarlo.jpg
dedramontecarlo.jpg (83.57 KiB) Viewed 12416 times
The Dedra SW and my Integrale - an upcoming project.
The Dedra SW and my Integrale - an upcoming project.
101_0111.jpg (77.16 KiB) Viewed 12412 times
Evodelta

Post by Evodelta »

Uros,

Thanks for the pic of the Dedra estate, I don't think I have ever seen one of those before, a good looking car!

Can you get a better pic of the parts in the red circles please, I'm wondering why I can see only two?

Martin.

Uros Piperski

Post by Uros Piperski »

Martin, there is no oil jet od the center crank journal. I don't have a photo of the complete block but maybe these photos are better:
Attachments
integrale8voiljets3.jpg
integrale8voiljets3.jpg (255.88 KiB) Viewed 12384 times
integrale8voiljets4.jpg
integrale8voiljets4.jpg (267.12 KiB) Viewed 12388 times
integrale8voiljets5.jpg
integrale8voiljets5.jpg (74.14 KiB) Viewed 12375 times
Evodelta

Post by Evodelta »

Hi Uros,

I suspected something was wrong, this doesn't look like an integrale block to me and where are these oil jets which are (to quote you) 'directing oil into pistons'??

Martin.
Evodelta

Post by Evodelta »

View of integrale block with holes for oil jets/piston squirters/small end bearing oilers (or woteva!) on view, but with the actual items removed for cleaning.

Uros Piperski

Post by Uros Piperski »

Martin, these oiljets are taking oil from main crang bearings and squirting them on the piston underside (liko on Tipo 1.6 SOHC. This is probably an older system, I know the later DOHC blocks have the oiljets fixed directly on the main oil gallery.

Here are some more photos:
Attachments
Here you can se that the jets are pointing to the pistons
Here you can se that the jets are pointing to the pistons
integrale8voiljets6.jpg (215.49 KiB) Viewed 12327 times
this is a wire through the oiljet showing that there is no ball valve in the jet, just a plain pipe.
this is a wire through the oiljet showing that there is no ball valve in the jet, just a plain pipe.
integrale8voiljets7.jpg (81.04 KiB) Viewed 12334 times
Last edited by Uros Piperski on January 20th, 2009, 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evodelta

Post by Evodelta »

Oh I see Uros, that is interesting, I've never seen this before - well not on an integrale block, do you think this is from a different car?

Of not much use, but purely out of interest I read the other day that some manufacturers are drilling a hole full length of the rod from one bearing to the other so it oils the small end, very clever I think.

Martin.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

I imagine that the nose-driven oil pump can easily provide enough delivery to cope with oil sprays that don't have a spring-loaded valve to control the release at low oil pressure.

However - I would want to ascertain the type of oil pressure relief valve spring fitted. The type for those uncontrolled jets may well have a stiffer spring than the Integrale type that has the sprays (with control valve system) fitted in the side of the block and fed off the main gallery. That is by way of saying that you would not want to mix up the pumps if they are indeed different.

Must admit I'm not sure I've seen the spray types Uros has published, not in a Lancia anyhow.

Some very good photography here, well done all contributors.

GC
pacman

Post by pacman »

Hi all,

Just want to add that i have a similar modification made to my 1756 block, and i have driven this engine for 2 years now with no oil pressure problem.
My new 2 liter will have the same modification.

thank you
/Peter
Seven-clone builder
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Peter, hi

There are different engines/sprays under discussion here. For the avoidance of doubt can you publish more detail please? Which mod exactly did you undertake and which engine/oil pump type. Any mods to pump?

Available oil delivery pressure depends not only on things like oil sprays and bearing clearances inside the engine but the external accessories - cooler, remote filter etc, length of hose lines and type of fittings used.

All contributors - I would like to see an in-depth approach here to what is acceptable or 'risky'.

Photos would be helpful - if you have any.

GC
SteveNZ

Post by SteveNZ »

Hi Uros

The oil jets in my 1986 Croma turbo block are the same. This engine completed some 250,000km over 20 years before it was rebuilt for my race car. The crank was in good order and re-used with a new set of standard bearings. Its done 2 years of club racing without any trouble now. I was originally worried about these oil jets too but I can't argue with their track record.