DHLA 40H jetting on 2L Fiat 131 engine

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
EvanR

DHLA 40H jetting on 2L Fiat 131 engine

Post by EvanR »

Hi Guy, I have just put a 2L from a 82 131 in a Lada 2107.

The engine is fully reconditioned and standard except for the addition of 132 1800 pistons. It has a standard 4-2-1 exhaust and is running the Marelli electronic ignition.
I am trying to set up a pair of DHLA 40H’s and was hoping you could point me in the right direction regarding jetting.
At the moment they are set up as the following:

34 chokes
155 mains
11 emulsions
210 Air correct
60 Idles
40 pump jets
150 needle valves
#3 Aux venturis

the carbs have been reconditioned so are in good condition. She is idling very rough and very high(1500rpm)with some spitting back and popping off idle - but once you put you foot down and get onto the mains she goes well.

This is my first venture into sidedrafts so I would appreciate any help on in what direction I should head from the above settings.

Regards
EvanR
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Dhla 40H jetting on 2L

Post by Guy Croft »

34 chokes - OK
155 mains - too big go 140
11 emulsions - go No 6
210 Air correct - too lean go 170 or 175
60 Idles - too rich go 45
40 pump jets - OK
150 needle valves - OK

spitting etc - do a compression test dry and wet make sure it's not a valve sealing issue. If OK (180+ psi dry, engine fully warmed up by driving ie: hot, throttle wide open, same or fractionally higher readings with tsp oil in bores) then it could be down to:

1. Dirt in idlejet
2. Too lean - idle mixture screws need adjusting
3. Out of balance
4. Blocked or dribbling pump jets - they should produce nice laminar jet when throttle is depressed.

Search in GC Q&A under 'colortune' and you will find some useful info that follows up on this. Buy a Colortune (see links).

Sorry for brevity but I am pretty tied up at the GCRE works today, hope this gets you started.

GC
EvanR

Post by EvanR »

Hi Guy,thanks for that just a couple of questions to clear everything up in my mind.
Is it ok to put tube No6 in 40H emission carbs- I have read they needed to have emulsions 9,10,or 11.
and that you need to keep the idle jets up around the 60 mark
regards EvanR
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

60 idle jet is way_too_big!

Go with the size I have indicated. As far as emulsion tube - just to be safe, please check that what I have recommended is compatible with the type you have - email Matt Cooper at Eurocarb, their website is brilliant for listing all the parts available. Eurocarb are the leading experts on Dellortos.

http://www.dellorto.co.uk/merchandise/p ... ectionID=1

Hope this helps,

G