Fiat Tipo 1.7D wants more HP!

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
istvan

Fiat Tipo 1.7D wants more HP!

Post by istvan »

Hello people!
I have a question buzzing through my minde for a looong time!So I hope I came to the wright place..I mean I am sure I had found the best place to learn things.
I would want to increas my engine power, but I would not like to blow my valves out.
I have a Fiat Tipo with a 1.7D engine. It is a little engine, and I am absolutely sure that it can give more than 58Hp.
I was thinking..what if I take the center exhaust silencer out? and leave only the back one. Will it increas my engine power or it will damage it more. But i do know for a fact that if you remove that at a Turbo Diesel one, the turbocharger would not work well because it does not have that backpressure that is neccesery. Is it the same with diesel engines without turbo??
I would like to say that I have a mecanical Bosch fuel injector pump, that I had given for cleaning, and repairs.
Now I am thinking what to do next! My pump is ok, new injectors, new cambelt. Please give me an idea.
A strange thing that it happens is that when the engine is cold it runs better and accelerates faster. When it is boiling hot, it does not run that good. I wonder if the oil is not that good quality, or the diesel fuel is getting hotter near the engine in the pipes, and thats why it does not burn clean.
Engine specs:

SOHC
2 valves per cylinder
Bore x stroke: 82.60 mm. × 79.20 mm.
Bore / stroke ratio: 1.04
Displacement: 1697 cc 103.55 cu in
Compression: 20.5
Fuel system: Bo diesel inj.
Aspiration: Normal D.
Max. output: 58.8 PS (58 bph) (43.2 kW) @ 4600 rpm
Max. torque: 98 Nm (72.2 lbft) (9.9 kgm) @ 2900 rpm

I would appreciate any suggestions, and I am sorry for my poor English grammar.

Thank you
A big ps: I am new here, take me easy:P <pleeez>
Steve
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Fiat Tipo 1.7D wants more HP!

Post by Guy Croft »

Sorry but you will be completely wasting your time trying anything to tune this normally aspirated diesel.

The only way to make it more powerful is turbocharge it or increase its cubic capacity. Both of which require complete recalibration of the fuel pump.

GC
istvan

Post by istvan »

Ok! So lets say that I do that.
I had an offer..from a friend! His selling his stok KKK turbocharger. Its from a Fiat Stilo 1.9TDI. Will it work>>?
Will it gain more HP? or will it even lose? Do I have to change the stroke distance?or the valves?? The conversion it selfe would not be that complicated, knowing that Fiat Tipo has a biger engine with a turbo charger. So I would buy an oil radiator from a 1.9TDI, a new oil pump, and the bit from the fuel injector..(the fuel regulator).
Thank you.
Steve
Last edited by istvan on July 24th, 2008, 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dflinkmann

Post by dflinkmann »

Istvan,

I don't know the rules in your country, but I assume that rebuilding an engine from normal aspiration to turbo will be more expensive than making a motorswap to a factory turboed engine. If there is a Fiat Tipo 1.9 TurboDiesel available, it should be cheaper (and easier) to swap the engine from a wrecked car than trying to rebuild everything to fit the old normal aspirated engine.

Just a thought.

Kind regards,

Daniel
istvan

Post by istvan »

Thank You Daniel.
Well I thought obout that one, but my intensions were to make the best normal aspirated diesel engine..(at least in this country.) You know, if I would want a faster car I would buy a new one..but where is the fun in that:)
I asked an oppinion here because if here I dont get an answer..I dont get one anywhere!
So if it is not possible, than it is not, and I will eventually buy a 1.9TDI engine. There are lots and lots of thing that I dont know..and it is well to learn those basic things on cheaper cars/engines! I have 2 Fiat Tipos 1.7D , and a 1.6 i.e Tipo to:P
ps: what about a double-overhead camshaft on the 1.7D !
THANK you!
Steve
Last edited by istvan on July 24th, 2008, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Georges Fonso

Post by Georges Fonso »

what about a double-overhead camshaft on the 1.7D
That would be really nice!
Especially if you could also make the combustion chambers in the twin cam head burn the Diesel.
In that direction, you should:
Stick an injector in each combustion chamber and a glowplug somewhere near
Make the combustion chambers get a Diesel-like Compression Ratio
Make them get a Diesel-like shape in order to burn the fuel despite having already met the above requirements.
Oh, well, I just mentioned them for fun's sake.
Really, I think you "Could" do some stuff, but not much, really.
I am confident that a Naturally Aspirated Diesel could possibly benefit from porting the head -- why not? Never tried it, but makes sense.
Also, raising the compression ratio would make it burn better -- and require a diesel pump recalibration.
What about an intake system with independent runners? Of course a diesel doesn't have any throttle, but that makes it even easier: just four really long rampipes.
A tubular exhaust manifold would also seem like an option.
Then again, all that is rather a waste of time -- Guy has a point there.
Even if you treat it as a pet project, do you have a spare pet... wallet? I can see you spending quite a few hundred pounds/euros/whatever you like for something highly unlikely to exceed 40hp/lt. Hmmmmm...
istvan

Post by istvan »

Thank you Georges Fonso!
Well yes, buying a 1.9t urbocharged engine seems the best idea then. I meen I allready spendt money rebuilding it and making it to run ok, but if it is not possible to make it even powerfull, than it is not:(
I am a bit sad because I have 2 cars with diesel engines, and I just do not want to think about anything else then Diesel!
I will try to find a 1.9TDI engine , and tuning that for a better performance. But untill that happens I would want to fit a better silencer (tha back one) on my exhaust. Having in minde that it is a Diesel, will it have any disadvantages>? My silencers are burned, so I must change them. Also I do not want to put a center silencer (my Fiat has two: the center one and the back one).
Thank you for youre time and answers!Have a Nice day