Editing Fiat Coupe 16V turbo ROMs

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
kj16v

Editing Fiat Coupe 16V turbo ROMs

Post by kj16v »

Hi, all. Apologies if this is posted in the wrong place!

I am trying to make a custom chip for my Coupe 16V Turbo.
I downloaded a bin and xdf I found on a forum. All the table locations shown by the xdf seem to make sense.
I recently made a bin from a friends own standard 16VT chip. I thought it would work with the aformentioned xdf, but it turns out that every single value and location is different and all of the tables come out as poor!

I don't have a clue why. Did I save the bin in the wrong format? Did 16VT's come with more than one type of ECU?

Can anyone please be able to help me? I can email you the xdf and bins that I have.
NickRP

Re: Editing Fiat Coupe 16V turbo ROMs

Post by NickRP »

There is more than one OEM chip version installed to Fiat Coupe 16v Turbo. Make photos of the ECU and/or chip labels and post them here. Providing a few details on yourself (location etc, as per GC's recommendation) and your car would be advantageous.

Beware that the available definition files I ran into on forums were of no so good quality (understatement here), with many inaccurate data interpretations. They seem to be in order to novice user/tuner, which is the hidden danger behind. If it was wrong on first glance, no one would use it, but "they look okay", until major engine damage occurs and causes are started to be investigated.

thank you
kj16v

Post by kj16v »

Hi, thanks for the reply.
I haven't got access to a camera at the moment but the label says: 4WF/P8 IMM 194 05.

My Coupe is a P-reg 16VT with the factory immobiliser.

Me: I'm in Oxfordshire. New to ROM editing, but no 'Noob' to engines and tuning. Wouldn't call myself an expert - but definitely no 'noob'!

Thanks for the heads-up about xdfs floating around the net. Any help if I email the bins and xdf to you?
NickRP

Post by NickRP »

You can email the files to me.

Also make a readme.txt file, which describes the following for each chip file:
-type of car (including production year, presence of immobilizer etc);
-type of ECU (all text from sticker on top cover);
-chip revision (all text from sticker on OEM chip).

For xdf file(s) you are going to include, please state the origin (i.e. where did you get the file from). Of course, I can accept only public domain xdf-s (please do not send copyrighted files, I will have to delete them).

Make a ZIP, and send me a PM here on forum containing the ZIP as an attachment.

Regards,
Nikola
GC_98
NickRP

Post by NickRP »

I took a look at the files you sent. My observations follow:

1) "Copied_Chip_Fiat_coupe_16vt.bin": this is an invalid chip image. It will NEVER work in a Coupe ECU, furthermore it may cause ECU damage (EEPROM within CPU ).
2) "downloaded_FCOUPE16V.bin": OEM Fiat Coupe 16v turbo file, no immobilizer (ECU version 194.04).
3) "FiatCoupe16VT[1].2.6.xdf": Tuner Pro definition file for Coupe Turbo, containing NUMEROUS errors (just to name a big miss - RPM breakpoints are completely wrong).

You asked about equipment that you should use to do chip burning yourself. Well, just about any EPROM programmer will do. I use Dataman "S4" (no longer produced), as it has integrated emulator and has a very good library of supported chips. I would recommend visiting their website, as they have excellent programmers and customer support that I got from them was first class.

For your car you need EPROMs of type 27C256.

Maybe useful piece of information is that RP Lab Map Editor for Fiat Coupe will be available very soon. Apart from enabling live tuning, it offers many extras, like fast datalogging, anti lag system, launch control, two auxiliary analog inputs, one auxiliary digital output, fast boost control etc.

Best regards
kj16v

Post by kj16v »

Very much appreciated, thanks.

Damnit. So I'm almost back to square-1 with the xdf. Final request I hope: Could you tell me what modifications I need to make to the xdf to make it right - or do you have one that's right in the first place?!