Facet fuel pump and regulator

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
johnv

Facet fuel pump and regulator

Post by johnv »

My fuel pump has become very unreliable, so I am about to replace it (with a Facet silver top) .. Question 1 is, do I need this filter/regulator, or is just unnecessary clutter (I believe the pump already has a filter ) . The car has twin 40 Weber DCNF's .
Question 2 .. Is it OK to mount the pump horizontally like this? I was recently told that it should be vertical.

thanks

john
Wal

Re: Facet fuel pump and regulator

Post by Wal »

John,
I recently changed my fuel pump to a facet red top pump supplying a pair of Weber 45 DCOEs, so I can give you the benefit of my experiences so far.

The pump has a built in fuel filter and I have found no reason to fit another in line filter, though I did fit a one way valve on the inlet pipe.

However I have found that the pump does on occassion (usually after backing off) overcome the needle on one of the carbs causing a slight leak of fuel from the trumpet. This was so minor that rather than fiddle about with the carbs I fitted a fuel pressure regulator (the same type as shown in your picture). It took a couple of trial runs to get the pressure just right so that it didn't leak but delivered the fuel on full throttle. But it worked perfectly and I would recommend having one as it is simple to fit and provides some useful flexibility and is cheaper than an engine fire.

With regard to mounting, the instructions recommend the pump is mounted vertically, but it does not state in the instructions that you should never mount the pump horizontally. This would suggest there is no danger in horizontal mounting, it is proably more to do with flow or filling. Mine is mounted vertically so I can't offer any more information.

Regards,
Steven
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

The experts and UK concesssionaires for Facet-Purolator pumps are are http://www.fuelsystem.co.uk

I have never mounted the Facet interrupter type pump other than vertical and sorry I don't know if it matters or not. What I do know is they take a lot of current so use a fuse & relay in the circuit. Always push rather than pull with an electric pump.

The pump has a plastic gauze filter - accessible from the bayonet-fitting cap on the end of the pump.

Silver Top and Silver Top comp spec categorically do not require a regulator so your Filter-King thingy can go! I would get an inline filter though.

GC
johnv

Post by johnv »

ok, done , thanks all

fuel filter not added yet, I'll need to rely on the one in the pump until I can get down to thinkauto - anyone need a pressure regulator?!