Lancia Delta 8V Tubular Manifold

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
ASF72

Lancia Delta 8V Tubular Manifold

Post by ASF72 »

Hi all, new to the forum....
I've been looking into a tubular manifold for my 8v Integrale as it's near enough the last thing to do on it really, I've also been told on the grapevine not to bother as the standard item flows well (better than the 16v), is this true?

My problem is finding someone who makes these as the person who does sell them to order is too costly for me and takes anything from 8/12 weeks as its not a very popular item these days.....if anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it , I also have a fair few people who are on the wanting list.

Nino
SteveNZ

Re: Lancia Delta 8V Tubular Manifold

Post by SteveNZ »

It may help if you give your location.

I would only bother with a manifold if you need to fit an external wastegate, alter the location of the turbo or retrofit a different turbo altogether. At moderate power levels there are more cost effective items to spend money on.
ASF72

Post by ASF72 »

Hi Steve.

I’m in the UK, I’ve already done a fair amount of modifications to my little old 8v, already fitted is a GT3071R(0.60 comp/0.63 ex) with internal W/G
I’ve also modified the standard intercooler so there is a straight run to the turbo with 3" inlet, ERL water injection, Omex710 aftermarket ECU, Green giant Injectors, Forged Pistons, Fidanza Aluminium Flywheel, 5 Plate Sintered Paddle Clutch, Fully Lightened and Balanced, Ported Head, Matched Manifolds, Lowered Compression 7.7.1, boost 1.6bar, Sytec Motosport Fuel Pump To Swirl Pot then Bosch 044 Motorsport Fuel pump To Rail (4.0bar) with Aeromotive 1000 6 Fuel Reg, Sytec Motorsport Fuel Filter (To BTCC Regulations), Spesso Grp N Head gasket and Exhaust
Also fitted was a race C&B cam but I was just not happy with it as it wouldn’t produce power. Don’t ask me why because I don’t know, what I do know is that the inlet cam was retarded by 11 degs and still no gains so the standard cams went back in and had a smile on my face ever since. Also fitted a Innovate LC1 AFR to keep an eye on things, so all I’m looking for now is a good manifold but still in two minds whether to as I have been told that the standard one will be fine but I’m not convinced..

Nino
SteveNZ

Post by SteveNZ »

I cannot get a good boost curve with the OE manifold and internal wastegate. How well does the GT3071R-WG hold boost?

Your engine sounds great, but after all you have done, im confused why you want to retain the internal wastegate. Has it just worked out that way maybe?

The OE manifold will work. I can only assume there is more top end power available with a better manifold but I do not have any data to support that. In my opinion it does not make a lot of sence to buy an expensive manifold if you are still going to be using the Internal wastegate housing. I would go straight for an external wastegate and proper GT3071R. The exhaust flow and boost controll will be significantly better, cost difference would be virtually nothing, and you'll have the best setup. Your engine deserves it really.
ASF72

Post by ASF72 »

SteveNZ wrote:I cannot get a good boost curve with the OE manifold and internal wastegate. How well does the GT3071R-WG hold boost?

Your engine sounds great, but after all you have done, im confused why you want to retain the internal wastegate. Has it just worked out that way maybe?

The OE manifold will work. I can only assume there is more top end power available with a better manifold but I do not have any data to support that. In my opinion it does not make a lot of sence to buy an expensive manifold if you are still going to be using the Internal wastegate housing. I would go straight for an external wastegate and proper GT3071R. The exhaust flow and boost controll will be significantly better, cost difference would be virtually nothing, and you'll have the best setup. Your engine deserves it really.
Steve, Hi
The GT3071R is fantastic, it holds a constant pressure from peak at 1.6 and only drops off around 0.1bar= 1.47bar ish or there about's, I also have full boost at around 3,000rpm or so.
I have also bought a bolt on fitting which attatches to the exhaust side of the turbo from the States which acts as an external wastegate but internal which gives the swing trap in the turbo a full swing instead of the 10/15 degs of a standard one due to restriction of the cast iron housing.
At the moment I'm still using the standard inlet size on the turbo which is 65mm but I feel as though im struggling with power top end of rev range (after 5,000rpm), so I've purchased a new compressor housing with a 76mm inlet to see if i was not getting enough air in. Rev limit is set to 6,200rpm but like i said I seem to struggle with the last 1,000rpm this is why I've asked advice on the manifold to see if it will help or is it the inlet size on turbo?
As for power figures i don't know as everything is live mapped because i don't like rolling roads, as long as I'm happy with it thats all what count's in my eye's.

Nino
SteveNZ

Post by SteveNZ »

From what you have said I do not believe the manifold is the issue. At 1.5 bar boost, the 0.64 turbine is the problem. If you get full boost at 3000rpm you cannot expect it to work great at 6000rpm+. The GT3071R WG turbine is smaller than a GT3071R (non-WG). It is also smaller than the OE integrale turbine! Hence great spool up and driveability but poor top end power. The cheapest solution for you is to fit a 0.86 housing.

The compressor inlet size is not an issue at all. It it still larger than the compressor inducer. The compressor is definatly large enough to be efficient at 6000rpm, 1.5 bar so that is not your issue.
ASF72

Post by ASF72 »

Hello all,
I'm back after along time sorting out my exhaust manifold and now its finally done and fitted, just a few things to plumb up and i'm ready for the roller's.
Apart from the exhaust manifold i've also fitted a Fiat Croma inlet manifold with 16v throttle body so we shall see how things go, a few picture's to show you what i've been upto, needs a little tidy up but im sure you will get the idea.

Nino
Attachments
IMG_0211.jpg
IMG_0211.jpg (93.59 KiB) Viewed 10102 times
IMG_0216.jpg
IMG_0216.jpg (69.4 KiB) Viewed 10105 times
IMG_0178.jpg
IMG_0178.jpg (48.11 KiB) Viewed 10104 times
IMG_0179.jpg
IMG_0179.jpg (36.54 KiB) Viewed 10100 times
Ev0luti0n_

Post by Ev0luti0n_ »

asf72:

Hello sir! From what i can see in the pictures, thats a perfect example of how an exhaust manifold should be done! Great soldering and piping!
Will you further improve the modification with thermotape or a turbo bag to retain heat and decrease under hood temperatures?
RedLexus

Post by RedLexus »

very impressive pipework , the collector is fantastic . Did you do it yourself?
Ford Sigma KA. GC_43
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

I agree, and it would be nice to get details of some of the best firms sent to me in order that they can go in the links section (which is permission only)

GC
ASF72

Post by ASF72 »

Hi,
thank you for all of your replies on regarding this manifold, it's taken a fair few hours and alot of head scratching to get this right, we had alot of problems getting a bend out of number 4 due to the tightness of the cast manifold(in the jig) therefore had to bring the turbo T3 flange out about an inch, once it was fitted it has'nt caused to much trouble but i will be needing a new down pipe as it's sitting a little low now, but hey, thats life.
I'm not capable of making this myself but i did work along side helping with the fitment etc.
The car is all back together now and waiting for the next mapping session after i have a down pipe made then i will post my results.
Thank you all again for the comments.

Nino

The manifolds can also be made with single external or twin wastegates for twin scroll turbos with any type of flange, i will be contacting GC regarding all the above.