Peugeot 205 GTI 8v track/sprint car

Post pics of your car in here
smckeown

Peugeot 205 GTI 8v track/sprint car

Post by smckeown »

Here is my blog of my route to perfection. I have copied al lthe recent additions from another forum..in the future i'll update this thread as per the other forums. It would be great to get advice/comments from a different community. I'm no expert, learning all the time, and appreciate constructive feedback..

I have provided a background to the car itself and latest engine build previously on this site, here's the link

mid dec/07:

I picked up the car from des-developments friday night and the following has been done recently:

1 - Trumpets fabricated to accept injectors (going 8 injectors very soon)
2 - New airbox for better increased space at front of car, with side feed
3 - Minor Oil leak sorted
4 - Fit new OE fuel pump - new pump delivers much more fuel as a result..worth knowing for other peeps!
5 - Exhaust tested to get to the bottom of the mysterious mid range torque dips - outcome was Des-d Group n (v2) system performs better that peugeot sport and standard system, and is not the cause of the dips.

The exhaust manifold was then highlighted as the only possible reason for the dips. Several long telephone conversations with longmans and ab motorsport led to some interesting information regarding the longmans/maniflow manifolds, turns out there is 3 systems on offer:

1 - road car oriented with crude length primaries (the one I currently have) - apprently only good for 160 bhp according to ab motorsport, but with a race cam i've seen 204 bhp on my car. Costs roughly £200
2 - track/rally oriented version with semi equal headers. Costs roughly £270
3 - race oriented version, not off the shelf version, equal length headers and design optimised by longmans on the dyno. Only available directly from longmans and costs £460. So i ordered on of these before xmas, expect it to arrive mid jan.

The 2 weeks will be rather busy, I have the following jobs on:

Make a new dash
Wrap the new airbox with cool-it or similar heat protection
Fit a cold Air Feed
Lower rad a smidge
Fit colin satchell trumpet spacers
Fit spa-design mirrors i've had for so long i can't remember
spec a dta loom to be made
fit a DTA s40

Here are the pics of the new airbox

24/12/07:

made progress on wiring in the new oil pressure sender today to feed the new gauge.

I learnt a lot recently regarding how todo things properly, and not use the cheap halfords type bullet connectors. So here are some pics of my handy work:

stripped wire:

heatseal pre-insulated terminals (heat shrinkable with water proof adhesive):

End crimpted with a decent insulated crimping tool:

End heated, and placing braided sleeving underneath the seal for that professional look:

Some heatshrink to finish it off:

Both ends finished:

That will certainly do the job :D

Old and new senders

Also here are some pics of the fabricated trumpets to accept a set of outer injectors, ready for my 8 injector setup:

26/12/07:

today I started to test the fitment of the new airbox with the colin satchell spacers i've had for ages

here I have trial fitted 2 sets to extend the inlet tract by 60mm

Started to sort out the crappy wiring. I'll have a new engine management loom soon, so might as well tidy up the other wiring too while I have the time, and now the tools.

The starter/alternator area was looking rather sorry for itself, here are some before and after pics:

before:

After:

Here was the earthing and fan control area before and after:

After (blocks removed, cut lenghs and sealed connectors):

Last update of today..this time regarding the trumpet spacers I bought ages ago. With the new airbox and manifold specifically built and altered to allow the inlet tract length to be lenghened, it was time to see how many spacers I can indeed run..

First I tried 3 x 20mm spacers

I've trial fitted only 2 sets out of 4..

Then tried the bonnet on..

oh dear, the bonnet is clearly being help up meaning they are too high..unacceptable!

So I took 1 of the 20mm spacers off to see if that helped..

Looked ok from the side..

And with the bonnet on...

Looked good, definitely not touching. So I used some playdo to see how much clearance there was..

About 20mm i'd giess from this:

So I think i'll settle with just the 4 spacers, which will give me an inlet tract length increase from roughly 320mm to 360mm

Next i'll start to work out what size filter I can get away with

27/12/07:

Started working on the new dash today.

Buy one of these:

Decide it's still too bulky, so remove the top and integrate with the ABC carbon sheet to create this:

Here's the surround painted and in place (temporary)

I'll add the oil and water temp gauges tomorrow and the new warning lights:

Sean

I finished off cutting the new dash today.

Here's what the finished product looks like:

I have to replace the hazard light with a generic orange lamp for low fuel, and then wire the inappropriate in

Accurate readings here we come..

wired up to test...

here's a pic and video of the new dash in action:

VIDEO (2mb)

The rev counter I think is reading double the real revs currently, will look into it tomorrow

As I now know all the wiring I need for my new dash, therefore I know what is surplus to requirement. So I've removed all the tape from the looms and am currently removing the old stuff. Plenty coming out..good weight reduction and fuse board simplification :D

Some new parts arrived today.

Cool-it thermal barrier for the new airbox:

More fuel hose and fittings to go from 4 to 8 injectors:

Cool It Thermo Tec heat barrier covered airbox. Should help keep temps down..

My long awaited filter arrived today.

It had to be large enough not to be restrictive, be small enough to actually fit, and be angled to aid fitting. It took a while but I managed to find one that fitted the bill.

Here it is:

might have to cut some more from the gill to get more fresh air

Unexpectidly my longmans race manifold turned up today; wasn't expecting it for another 2 weeks.

It was one inappropriate of a jigsaw to put together but think i've got it roughly looking right.

I will now send it off to be ceramic coated and then put on before the dta mapping starts. Looks rather different than my current version :D

Last edited by smckeown on January 20th, 2008, 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
205 8v Track car
smckeown

Re: Peugeot 205 GTI 8v track/sprint car

Post by smckeown »

poor weather today, so not a lot of progress.

I popped over to QEP to pick up the additional fuel rails required today.

Here are the 2nd set of injectors fitted, and they will be fitted like this, i.e. upside down, due to space constraints

Closer view

The wiring removal has all but finished now.

Here's the fruit of my labour. 1.5Kgs worth. On top of the stuff removed initially when the dash was removed and ECU install was done etc.

here's the speed sensor bracket marked up and ready to be cut and welded. I'll get a local fabricator to sort that out for me next week

I had a few mins spare and noticed the bonnet fasteners were looking rather sorry for themselves.

30 seconds each with my dremel sorted them out

Finally a day where it's not raining and i'm not working..

Had to make a binacle shape as the OE instrument panel is concaved in shape.

Since i've removed the 38mm chokes i've had to fit bolts to fill in the hole. Han dy having these , as on the RR it may be the case going to 40mm chokes will improve my mid range without reducing the top end..only time will tell.

205 8v Track car
smckeown

Post by smckeown »

slow progress currently, just busy on other things in my home gym.

Received my new DTA professionally made loom..sweet!

I need to alter the dash today, as there is less room than I measured, not a problem as I can replace the existing warning lamps with these 3mm LEDs to save space.

205 8v Track car
smckeown

Post by smckeown »

When I trial fitted the dash, it became apparent that visibility through the steering was an issue for the dials. So I needed to lower it by amout 20mm. So I needed a way of keeping the warning lights but had no space to keep them.

So I decided to replace the warning lamps with 3mm LEDs instead. So wired that lot in today.

Here are the new LEDs:

Here is a quick test of one of the indicators:

Sean
205 8v Track car
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

MODEL POST!

A most thorough and well illustrated history of your preparation Sean, well done!

I do look forward to the closing stage and performance resulting! I hope you are enjoying it. There used to be a lot more people doing this but these days so few engage in it, a pity...

GC
smckeown

Post by smckeown »

Guy Croft wrote:I hope you are enjoying it.
Yes I really enjoy learning more and therefore be capable of implementing all the things I either feel I want, or other people recommend I need. For example I paid someone on my last track car to put new dials in; thinking I could never deal with the electrics and reading the wiring diagrams. But being able todo it myself now has given me imense pelasure.

---

I trial fitted the recently adjusted console today, just to check the visibility and placement of the dials through the steering wheel. Looks better now I have moved it down slightly..

205 8v Track car
smckeown

Post by smckeown »

I'm at home until monday so should be able to get the car wired and running finally.

It's had a bad starting problem fior a while now, so I checked the plugs. For some reason they are standard plugs (BCP7ES). After a discussion with sparkplugs.co.uk, they recommended for an extra 50-100bhp over standard you should go one grade colder. SO I ordered a set of NKG V-power R5671A-8.

As you can see the old plugs were in a bit of a state...

...so these should help

Also managed to damage my old battery through over charging I think.

So ordered a new battery (more suitable for my car) and a 3 staged charger

205 8v Track car
smckeown

Post by smckeown »

More parts arriving.

New inline fuel filter:

New inline fuel pressure gauge.

I have an existing one but was installed using a t-piece. So I want to change this to not have a t-piece and cluter up the engine bay
205 8v Track car
smckeown

Post by smckeown »

Finally a day with good weather, so made some progress.

Got the thing to start; issue was it was running lean. A new fuel pump has been added recently and the fuel pressure was reduced too much afterwards.

Here are some pics of the new gauges working with their matched senders:

Also I was concerned only a graph was showing RPM, as I wanted the actual figure also. But luckily you can configure the display to show that. Also checked the values against the ECU value to ensure they are the same.

Here's a short video showing it in action:

http://track-monkey.co.uk/videos/misc/r ... orking.wmv
205 8v Track car
smckeown

Post by smckeown »

I'm positive some of my past problems have been because of too low oil temp. So a top tip from QEP was to cover it. So here's a laminated cardboard jacket in place. As I also have accurate gauges I can monitor temps much more closely.

Received back my internal and external ceramic coated exhaust manifold

205 8v Track car
smckeown

Post by smckeown »

I wa having hassle mounting the previous attempt at a speed sensor bracket.

So decided to have a re-think and take on board what sandy brown was advising.

Had a good look fromthe top and realised what he was on about :D

SO with the old speed sensor removed and the ability to use an existing bolt to secure the sensor I knew it was a go-er.

Here's the hole from the old speed sensor:

Here's what I wanted the bracket to look like:

Cut the old sensor's top/head off and filled with silicone. Will place this back into the hole and will seal the unit

10 minutes later some cut 3mm from the shed:

Just need to clean up the area, glue the magnet to the shaft, and measure up to ensure there's a 3-5mm gap using washers to move the spacer closer. When I measured previously I know there's at least 5mm gap currently

Sandy to the rescue again....
205 8v Track car
smckeown

Post by smckeown »

Well time for an update.

I've been running in the car's new rings recently.

Today I implemented the strategy to reduce/optimise the water temperature. With the current OE 89 Deg C thermostat it was running at about 78 Dec C. With 25% Comma coolant, a new 72 Deg C thermostat and 1/3 bottle of Water Wetter the running temperatures are down by about 12 Degrees C to about 65 Deg C; that's an excellent result! and should improve power slightly.

I also packed my top mount with 2 washers, i'be been meaning todo that for ages:

Then disaster struck. I noticed that while running my new oil pressure gauge has been reading 6 bar which is 87 PSI. I wonder is that's a bit high ?

After a spirited run it seems my oil catch tank has completely filled up and come out of the yet to be filtered hole at the top..resulting in gunk everywhere..inappropriate!

So it's due to come off the road this wekeend anyway, as the ECU is coming off as that's sold.

Then sometime in april the car is going down to Sandy Brown to have the DTA S40 installed and mapped.
205 8v Track car
jazzygeoff

Post by jazzygeoff »

Hey :-)

Great post, very very well documented. Your engine & bay is looking great.

Can I ask about your digi speedo you got? What make or model, I've been looking for one of those for a while now.
smckeown

Post by smckeown »

jazzygeoff wrote:Hey :-)

Great post, very very well documented. Your engine & bay is looking great.

Can I ask about your digi speedo you got? What make or model, I've been looking for one of those for a while now.
It's an acewell 3250, Great piece of kit and relatively cheap
205 8v Track car
Brooky

Post by Brooky »

About the cardboard wrapped oil cooler, Are you not using a thermostatic take off plate? that should resolve the problem