20v turbo coupe head Q,s

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
trickymex

20v turbo coupe head Q,s

Post by trickymex »

Hi,

I have been asked to do some port work for someone on a Fiat 20v turbo head

Most of my experience is with ford engines but i am not one to shy away from an opertunity to learn and help someone at the same time but before i get involved i need some pointers.

There is not many people that have done work on this engine as far as i can tell but one of the people who have done head work on this engine claim they just take the port size out to the gasket size, apparently thats a lot of material, thats all anyone can tell me and that seem a little un- sientific for me so i was wondering if anyone on here has done any work on the head in question and can give me a little more information plus any pointers and some things to watch out for while doing this head???

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Ricky
4v6

Post by 4v6 »

If it was me, i would tend to do some basic measurements of the ports, calculate the correct or close to optimal valve size to port ratio, take photo's of everything, make moulds of the ports to get some idea of what theyre actually like.
Taking the port out to the gasket line is more than likely to scrap the head if theres no need, in my humble opinion as its all too easy to break through into a waterway, not to mention that going large on ports can kill velocity.
If you have any doubts on your ability to perform the work, i know i would be seeking professional advice and services especially if its a hard head to source.
trickymex

Post by trickymex »

Agreed,

i have no problem with doing the work, apart from not doing this particular head before.

Going out to the gasket is something i think is a touch silly with out doing any flow bench testing, i feel the same with the regards to port size vs velocity, going that far may only be needed for 500+ bhp and this engine is not going for that sort of bhp figure

I was more curious of what other people have done and what results they have got from there work so i can some kind of educated guess on how large to make the port.

Regards

Ricky