Converting FWD Fiat TC to RWD

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
Jammz

Converting FWD Fiat TC to RWD

Post by Jammz »

Hi there, I'm looking at putting a Lancia Delta HF twin cam into my Lada Riva, as the Delta engine is transverse and FWD would it be possible to use my Lada gearbox or other suitable Fiat RWD gearbox or would this be impossible? Also would the engine mounts need modification?

As you had input on the Lotus Lada 8) I would very much like to hear your thoughts on this and even whether a different TC would be more suitable?

Many thanks in advance :D

James
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Please tell me if this is the Delta HF 1600 or 2 liter. If it's the 1600 is it injection or carb?

If it's the balance shaft model 2 liter, forget it, it's impossible, or very nearly.

Come back to me if you are serious and want to know the best choice and what to do, I am not keen on giving speculative advice on conversions. You see what usually happens is that I tell people (or used to till I learned better) how to do it and they go 'oh, maybe I won't do it then'.

Sorry about the photo quality of some of the shots.

No conversion is easy, even the Lotus Lada.

GC
Attachments
donor engine for GC for Lotus Lada, Top Gear thought it was terribly funny that they paid only ‚£50 for it, ten times what it was worth..ho ho..
donor engine for GC for Lotus Lada, Top Gear thought it was terribly funny that they paid only ‚£50 for it, ten times what it was worth..ho ho..
Old engine.jpg (23.32 KiB) Viewed 9368 times
This is how the Lotus Lada engine bay looked before Lotus stripped it out & went to work on it
This is how the Lotus Lada engine bay looked before Lotus stripped it out & went to work on it
Old engine bay.jpg (17.61 KiB) Viewed 9366 times
Finished engine bay of the Lotus Lada, complete with GC 2 liter engine & 131 Sport gearbox, as a conversion one of the easier ones to do..
Finished engine bay of the Lotus Lada, complete with GC 2 liter engine & 131 Sport gearbox, as a conversion one of the easier ones to do..
Engine bay 1.jpg (64.94 KiB) Viewed 9364 times
Jammz

Post by Jammz »

It's the 1600 with carb, I didn't think it would be a mega easy swap, just a good starting point and certainly easier than a V8. The engine would be complete with all ancillaries including the ECU. Seeing how many different permutations of the engine there is I was just wondering which would be the best version to choose.

James
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

That's a good choice.

What it needs primarily:

1. RWD sump and oil pump pickup from 131 2 liter (will fit on Delta upper body)
2. Bearing in the end of the crank
3. RWD Fiat 131 or 132 engine mounts
4. Fiat 131 5 speed gearbox, with mounting bracket at rear, ideally with remote gearchange (131 Supermirafiori 1600 or 2 liter TC)
5. 2 liter Fiat 131 oil filter setup, water pump and alternator.

You need to strip out the Lada engine bay and gearbox, the propshaft needs shorten and balance.

The Lada as it stands will be terrible to drive with the much more powerful engine, it needs a complete rethink on brakes and suspension, I certainly recommend expert help with this.

I can advise on ancillary things later on, those from memory are the main things. That, I hope, will get you started and I look forward to hearing how you get on.

GC
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

That's a first-rate post on Turbo124com Steve, well done for highlighting it, of course that kind of post step-by-step on Dave B's site is what has made that site so popular. (For those who don't know, Dave was my inspiration for - and Technical Director of - GCRE.com).

Of course the Delta 1.6 turbo carb version (sorry, the proper name always confused me) is quite a bit easier because it does not have the crank nose driven oil pump. The latter makes the sump conversion to RWD more tricky, I say this as someone who has done it several times.

I shall be keenly interested in whether this goes forward - and whether we hear about it here - now that some of the conversion issues have been identified. I hope it does.

GC
Jammz

Post by Jammz »

I have now purchased a complete Delta 1600 however it is a non turbo, I thought all HF's were turbo and as far I can tell they should be, it's my own fault for not checking I guess..

This may be a silly idea but would it be possible to use a Mini Cooper S, supercharger (Eaton M45) which seem to be very cheap on the engine?

The Lada has 80bhp stock, N/A Delta 1600 has 105bhp and the turbo Delta 130bhp, so I am going to do the swap anyway once I have obtained all the needed parts and I assume once you have installed one twin cam it would be pretty simple to swap it with another?

Many thanks for all information provided so far.

James
SteveNZ

Post by SteveNZ »

Delta HF anything is turbocharged. Delta 1.6 NA was called a Delta GT or GTi.e.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

My advice is bolt on twin 40s and leave it at that. For myself - this being GC Q&A - I only give advice on turbo conversions that are 'in progress' ie: engine stripped and in prep, fully committed - so best take that query to General Discussions - road cars. Sorry but it's too involved for me to give speculative advice on how to if you have never done it before.

GC