Lancia Thema 16v S2 Camshaft questions

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
LanciaDan

Lancia Thema 16v S2 Camshaft questions

Post by LanciaDan »

Hi GC,

I currently own a Series Two Lancia Thema 2.0 16v ie. Apart from me fitting a BMC CDA Intake to the car I really havent had the option to do any fine tuning to the engine as I have had a lack of time. I have been lucky enough lately to come across a pair of Camshafts that are seemingly for the 2l Lancia TC engine. After tirelessly asking for info regarding the part numbers I decided to ask you as nearly everyone referred to you.

The Camshaft(s) in question are the ones pictured.

The Darker Camshaft seems to be heat treated/coated of some sort. This unfortunately made the part number unreadable.

The lighter coloured camshaft has the part number 7825940

The packaging that the box comes in has something written on it
It states on the outside in red "16VT/Asp. 12.5 STR"

In smaller pen writing " S car. 0.35 Al 2.21 P HS 1.5/1.6"

In blue but written in Italian "Doviebbe averze piri (or piu) coppia del'A1 pastiglie + 2 decimi"
Due to my limited technical knowledge, this came out to me as gibberish.

Is there any info that you can help me out with regarding the camshaft with the Part number? I was thinking of possibly running some "hotter" cams in my Thema and this obviously would be the ideal route for me, if I am able to fit this to the Thema?

Thanks in Advance
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

yes, bit of detective work.
For a start 7825940 is not a Lancia part number as such and will not tell us anything, it is just a casting blank number used to ID the billets used for grinding.
The cams are not marked with maker's name so they are not Kent, Piper, GC, Colombo & Bariani nor do the part numbers correspond to made by them.

The fact that one cam at least has 'Lancia' on means the cams are ground from OE blanks which could be done by someone actually at Lancia or in the aftermarket, but again not by either of the two biggest regrinders Kent and Piper because the cams would carry their manufacturer ID code.

The fact that the accompanying text is in Italian suggests some profile from Italy. There are a lot of firms in Italy who could get factory blanks and grind their own billet profile onto cast blanks or regrind their profile onto an already finished cam.

16VT/Asp. 12.5 STR looks like 16v Turbo inlet 12.5 and str might be 'street', dunno.
S car. 0.35 Al 2.21 P HS 1.5/1.6 Might be S - stradale (street), 0.35mm tappet clearance (0.0014") and the other numbers lift at TDC or something like that.

I would not use them myself, until you have knowledge of their true characteristics (inlet and ex) and know what springs they are compatible; this true of all cams unless sourced from a reputable supplier.

You can always put them on V blocks and measure the lift. It is a good idea to send cams to Kent and get them to map them if you are not sure. The you can put the data into graphical form and make some sense of their shape.

GC
LanciaDan

Post by LanciaDan »

Guy Croft wrote: The fact that one cam at least has 'Lancia' on means the cams are ground from OE blanks which could be done by someone actually at Lancia or in the aftermarket, but again not by either of the two biggest regrinders Kent and Piper because the cams would carry their manufacturer ID code.
The Camshafts are left to me by my father who actually owned the Dealerships for Lancia/Ferrari in South Africa. So im not doubting that this is a special camshaft made by Lancia in Italy (Primarily for the packaging)

Since it could very possibly be a TC Turbo Camshafts I wont be able to fit this to my car right? (NA Lancia TC 2.0)

Ill get on the case of getting the cams measured and some more info on it!

Thank you so much for all your help

Daniel
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Nice bit of history there!

TC Turbo Camshafts - I won't be able to fit this to my car right? (NA Lancia TC 2.0)

Sure you can use them n/a.

You'd be amazed how powerful a Lancia Integrale 16v is in full GpA spec running normally aspirated (with a 'missing' turbocharger impeller) even at 7/1 CR!

GC
LanciaDan

Post by LanciaDan »

So does that mean that I can actually gain power using these Camshafts with a NA engine? Would you recommend this? (after I got them mapped and checked for viability)
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

More than likely - but you do need to check the lift!

GC