Honda Civic head rebuild and mods.

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
Samal Yb

Honda Civic head rebuild and mods.

Post by Samal Yb »

Hello, I'm new here and I just wanted to share with you guys a little work that I did on my civic.

A problem started in the moment I buy it, some oil get burned by use the car, the amount of oil burning issues increase by putting at high RPM.

It is a 1.6 litter engine VTEC (two kind of intake camshaft, one for economy and a race one wich start working at 5000 RPM).

The engine was good in compression, and I though the problem was in the head, valves seals and guides...

In a trip with friends really close of me, an exhaust valve was broken, the car start working in tree cylinder but anyways, it can do 175km/h with a wide load (105kg for me, 95 for my friend in the right side, and 175 kg for the back side plus some many things in the trunk.)

Here is a video of that. (spanish talked)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azw6-hxE5Qs

Like you can see the car can do 170 km/h @ 6000RPM IN TREE CYLINDER!!!

We started to think that the fail was a badly spark plug, or an injector, the wire of that cylinder spark plug... We found a workshop and find out with a compressor meter, that we have no compression there. Anyways we did 1400 km in that way.

I still thinking there was a problem with the mixture, so lean...

I found a Polyacrilate valve seals and i though that was the oil burning problem... The valve guides were so fine, 0.05mm of clearance, when the factory value is 0.04 and the maintenance limit is 0.11mm.

Premium Vitton seals:

I did not change valve guides, I putted premium vitton seals, 16 new valves (dokuro ones from japan) and finally I find out some imperfections in the intake port.

I have not got a workshop, just have a house and some tools for work in the heads and in the car too. I think the most important thing is "to want to do it".

Well, I find another imperfections on the valves and i worked with them.

Here the old and the new ones...

The ports work:

Cheking seats:

That's everything I got for that work. I hope you like it, and I'll accept critics.

A hug, Ivan.

p.s.:The car still burning oil, and have very nice compression. :?:
Regards, Ivan.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Ivan, hi

great post, I had some fun reading it, well done (job and post). Kind of shows what this site is meant to be about, and a terrific effort with technical English. Your next project of course is rebore, rings and pistons! But you know that already...

GC
Samal Yb

Post by Samal Yb »

Thanks Guy!!! I really don't know what to do wit it. I g’‚¼ess I might put the valve seals in a bad way (with the hand). So before rebore I'll change the valve seals once again. And I can't understand how it burn oil by the piston rings, the pistons have not show clearance with the cylinder, and the last ones appear to be nice (not oval, and no step).

I follow the shop manual to check cylinders and here some pics of them.

here the washed by injector one.

The step that appear in the picture is just carbon for 175.000 km of use.

It is quite frustrating when those things happens, but it will not stay by itself!!!

Thanks again for accept me, it feels to good to be here and the possibility of share this things with you.
Regards, Ivan.
Samal Yb

Post by Samal Yb »

Remember this?

Well last Saturday at 4:00 am I tried the civic in a five ways Highway, now it can do 7200 RPM in 5‚° gear, and almost 210 km/h.

It is still drinking some oil, this month I‚´ll start the "rebore" issues.

Lots of love for you guys.
Regards, Ivan.