8v Integrale/1.6 Hf Turbo exhaust valves, sodium filled?

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
Infectus-Guy

8v Integrale/1.6 Hf Turbo exhaust valves, sodium filled?

Post by Infectus-Guy »

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone can confirm whether the afore mentioned exhaust valves are sodium filled. Its just that i'm fitting a cylinder head from a 1.6 Delta GTie to my 1.6 HF Turbo and wanted to know if i can use those exhaust valves or if i'll have to swap them over from the turbo head.
Thanks for any ideas,
Guy
GC book #182
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: 8v Integrale/1.6 Hf Turbo exhaust valves, sodium filled?

Post by Guy Croft »

My recollection is the OE ones (originally fitted) were, yes.

S/C valves for that unit don't have a waisted stem - a photo would clinch it.

GC
Infectus-Guy

Post by Infectus-Guy »

Thanks Guy,
I'll try and take a photo later when im back from work, but for now i've got a code thats printed on the valve stem just near the collet groove. Does A362 mean anything to you?
Thanks,
Guy
GC book #182
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Well done!

Yes, A362 is sodium cooled,

GC
Infectus-Guy

Post by Infectus-Guy »

Brilliant, thanks for the speedy reply Guy. It seems quite a surprise that the 1.6 Delta GTie had sodium filled valves, i always thought such luxuries were reserved for the higher temperatures of turbo charged engines. You learn something new every day!

Infact i'm learning a lot at the moment about the 8v engines and their different variants. One thing i found is that this GTie head that i bought (and removed from the car) has more similarities to an 8v integrale than my HF Turbo does. The main things i can spot is that the cam pulleys on the GTie and integrale have large lightening holes drilled in them (whereas my HFT ones are solid) and the rocker covers are tall and more "bulged" looking (whereas my HFT covers are very flat in comparison). I'm a bit confused by all of this really, i'll use the lighter cam pulleys (just for the sake of it really!) and i'm wondering if the bulged cam covers are of a better design too.

Just a couple more little questions that i'm sure will be easy-
1. As a reference, the max lobe height (not lift) on my N/A cams is about 35.7mm on both inlet and exhaust so i know they have the same lift. As I now know that the exhaust valves are sodium filled i'm going to freshen up this GT head i've got and swap the stock one over thats in my HFT. I've not been able to measure the lift on the stock exhaust cam yet but i'm assuming it will have a lower lift height (than the GT), just like the inlet cam does. Should i swap the turbo exhaust cam over to the N/A head that i'm going to put on the engine or can i just use the N/A exhaust cam that's in it?

2. Is it worth putting a very fine but constant bead of hermetite blue on the brand new rocker box gaskets and end gaskets (dissy drive/blanking plate)?

3. The head bolts are stretch bolts aren't they? Can you only use them once? Bearing in mind my little 1.6 is probably going to be running over 200bhp, would it be a good idea to by new ones?

Thanks,
Guy
GC book #182