Flywheel on VX

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
jazzygeoff

Flywheel on VX

Post by jazzygeoff »

Hey guys,

I really need some advise here please. My new VX is getting put in next week and I was hoping to get my flywheel lightened a little. The engineering shop I took it to said they wont do it because it doesn't have enough meat on it and would actually be dangerous to do.

It's a stock standard VX flywheel weighs 8.2kgs and is 24mm wide. Has any one ligthened one at all and what weight did you go, will it be dangerous?

Any advise please as it will need to be done by on monday before these guys shut down.

Thanks
4v6

Post by 4v6 »

Flywheels usually come in nodular or grey cast iron types.

iirc, you can modify the nodular types( upt to a point) but not the grey cast types.
In either event its not particularly safe to modify either with a view to lightening them.
The usual way is to remove excess material from the periphery but leave material at the mounting boss and the friction surfaces well alone.
Even so, you would be better sourcing a replacement steel or aluminium item.
Its just not worth the risk of one exploding on you.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

My advice is that what you have been told by them is nonsense so don't use that firm and hold off till the New Year!

The FW is heavy, sure, for smooth running and also to save cost at point of manufacture. There is no good reason for not removing weight from that Vx item, which is, yes, heavy. The main criteria are remove it in the right places, generate generous radii and don't go thinner than 12mm...

Anyone asserting that it would be 'dangerous' to lighten it is talking well, best I not say..

You MUST balance a lightened or reground fw with crank with care by the way, otherwise it will shear the fw bolts.

GC
Attachments
A GC lightened FW of same type, no metal removed from the centre region where the undercut is, good shaping with complete absence of sharp changes of section ie: nice radii, no intrusion into ring gear support...
A GC lightened FW of same type, no metal removed from the centre region where the undercut is, good shaping with complete absence of sharp changes of section ie: nice radii, no intrusion into ring gear support...
FW lightened 2 liter.jpg (104.98 KiB) Viewed 3652 times
Brooky

Re: Flywheel on VX

Post by Brooky »

This is the flywheel im running with at the moment on my cinquecento, it has held up so far reving up to 7200rpm and has been fine for the 4000miles i have used it for. weight 3.5kg

But do it like Guy's with lots of radii. I have just purchase a radiused tuning tool so the next flywheel will be better