Port observations on a Toyota V6.

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
4v6

Port observations on a Toyota V6.

Post by 4v6 »

Hello Guy, I hope this may be of some interest to both yourself and other forum readers.

The engine I am currently trying to improve upon is from Toyota's stable and is used in the 1992 to 1996 camry series of vehicles.
The engine designation is 3vz-FE, the "fe" part of the name denoting heads primarily for economy.
It displaces 3.0 litres with a bore of 87.5mm and stroke of 82mm, has 24 valves and 4 camshafts driven via a toothed cambelt on the intake cams only.
The exhaust cams are driven off a skew gear on the intakes and travel in reverse direction (anticlockwise), so phasing the cams for advance/retard could prove to be a little problematical later on.

My initial investigations into this head have been mostly by eye and finger and for the time being it will have to stay that way until I can begin to aquire the necessary airflow measuring tools and techniques.

The intake ports appear to be half decent judging by past experiences but suffer from sharp machined edges on the short side radius and various casting imperfections.
After pulling the valves, I found that these heads already have a multi angle cut to them on the intakes and a backcut to the valves.

The valves are inclined 11 degrees from the vertical.
Intakes have a 34.00mm head and exhausts measure at 27.35mm, so near enough 80% the size of the intake.
I havent yet measured/catalogued the seat widths and backcut angles, port volumes and throats etc etc.

I was interested to see how the air actually moved in these standard intake ports, so I made a dummy cylinder of the approximate bore size, sprayed the intakes with a white powder called developer (used in welding), and used some plasticine to put a doughnut radius on the intake port mouth.
I then set the inlet valves open an equal amount but within max lift for the cams and switched on the vacuum source.
I had already made a simple U tube manometer to give me comparative readings and I proceeded to move a probe down the port towards the valve.
As the probe approached the valve the reading on the manometer started to get higher which to me indicates the pressure is lower at that point.
The probe didnt tell me much initially and it is a little insensitive so I proceeded to the use of a dye sprayed into the airstream.
The amount of dye sprayed into the air was just the tiniest amount aerosoled across the port mouth and not into it.
After the vaccum was switched off the dye was clearly visible on the port wall but it had stained in only a small area, something I hadnt expected.

Initially I suspected the angle the head was sitting at was responsible in part for this odd staining due to gravity and so I set the head up in its normally mounted position and re tested with the dye but yet again it stained only the area you can see in the pictures.
At first I believed that the air was travelling moreso in the stained area rather than anywhere else, but I needed some other method to prove it to myself.
I aquired some smoke pellets from a local plumbers, a can with a screw lid and a short silicon tube and metal pipe to direct the smoke out of.
It worked rather well and the smoke was easily traceable as it traversed the port.

When directing the smoke to the stained area, some turbulence and instability was seen with the smoke billowing back and forth rather than travelling on that side of the guide boss also I was surprised by the back eddying that existed at the valvestem and guide interfaces. I suspect if the dye was substituted for fuel it may drop out of suspension in that area, but thats a pure hypothesis on my part.
The majority of air seems to want to flow to the outside of the ports approximately half way up the wall at its deepest point and round the short side radius, even though its quite badly formed.

From observing the smoke and dye staining it would appear that approximately a quarter, maybe even a third of the valve's circumference is not being utilised to full advantage.
I repeated the smoke and dye staining with different lifts but little change was observed in the position/route the dye and smoke appeared to take.
In an attempt to get to know these ports a little better and get some measurements i've resorted to moulding them with silicon.

The intake ports all have a near straight shot from the manifold but the exhausts come in two distinctly different shapes.
Intake.

Exhaust.

I have to say, I think that the exhausts look pretty dismal, so im hoping it should be possible to improve upon them by quite some margin, so my next port of call (no pun) is to cast a model in plaster to carry out some work to see where those improvements might lie on both intakes and exhausts rather than wreck a good head.

I was especially impressed by the smoke resolutely refusing to approach the port walls no matter how hard i tried to make it do so and the still air at the port walls appeared to be at least mm measurable.
I hope my rather amateurish attempts at understanding port flows have proven interesting, certainly for me it has confirmed airflows just dont go where you think they will and ive gained some useful insights.
Lowtechguy

Post by Lowtechguy »

Very interesting post.

Thank you for taking the time.

Cristian.
Evodelta

Post by Evodelta »

I agree, what an interesting and well written post, great pictures too.
Please keep us updated and good luck with the work!

Martin.
benlilly

Post by benlilly »

Great post!
Looking forward to seeing some more.
TR-Spider

Post by TR-Spider »

Very interresting indeed!

Just some small observations & hints:

the dye: you have to consider the dye droplets inetria and initial speed.
To me it looks that the dye does not follow the bend and is just moving straight ahead- either the starting velocity of the droplets is high compared to the air, or the mass (size) of the drolets is so high that their inertia outweights the forces of the air.

I really like the smokestream pictures. If you would make the "cylinder bore" from a transparent material (plexiglass?) you could observe the outflow from the valve as well...

From the pictures it seems that the inlet valve seat diameter is huge compared to the channel diameter?

Thomas
Balidey

Post by Balidey »

I agree with the above comments, a very interesting post.

But can I ask, why have you chosen this engine to work on? What is it going to be used for?
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

EXEMPLARY POST!

Thoughtfully written in a pleasing, understated style, beautifully illustrated, and examining out one of the most interesting engine-related issues. This is exactly the kind of thing I hoped to see going on at GCRE.com

A man should have a hobby I always say, and it's just great to see the science being examined in such an innovative DIY way, rather than just plunging in with a die grinder.

I will point out immediately that I myself have never done that, and I thought, wow! I look forward to an equally outstanding level technical discussion re! Suggest you all get your books on aerodynamics out first!

GC
4v6

Post by 4v6 »

Hello Thomas.

The dye droplets; I had considered the possibility of the inertia creating a drop out effect at that point, certainly it could be, it does look that way, i really dont have enough experience to know though.
I actually sprayed the dye across the port mouth, in a very very light distribution approx three to four inches away to see where it would be taken as i didn't want it to be already in motion towards the port as it got drawn in which would skew the results.

I certainly shall be making a plexiglass cylinder as well for smoke viewing, i find this kind of study fascinating, although it will probably take a lifetime to get to grips with such a complex subject.

The intake valves are 34mm with the ports at their smallest point being a little over 25mm so approx 73% the diameter of the valves.
I have been reading up on the subject of ports and sizes (thanks to Guy for much of the info) and i dont believe theyre vastly smaller than desirable from what i gather thus far but I need to do more studying i think to be more certain.
4v6

Post by 4v6 »

Hello Balidey.

I chose this engine when i had a desire to replace the standard 2.0 litre turbocharged engine in my celica gt4.
To me although the 2.0 litre engine is a great design, it always seemed to lack character, it never really set my senses alight, hence i set out to replace the standard engine with the v6, which i completed some time back and it did just what i wanted it to.
I just wish to improve upon the v6's performance as i already help other enthusiasts with their project cars and these engines are begining to be transplanted quite a lot.
4v6

Post by 4v6 »

Many thanks for you kind comments Guy, im flattered and pleased that you found it as interesting as others have.
I will endeavour to improve my testing regimen and post my further results here.

Bets wishes, Tony.
Balidey

Post by Balidey »

Dye droplets vs Fuel droplets.

Could we assume that the two act in a similar fashion? That way we can say that your results (very clever to think of using the powder and dye :idea: ) are as close to seeing the actual charge enter the port as we are likely to get.

Although to fully link the two we would probably need to compare the liquid density, droplet size, droplet to volume of air ratio. Would viscosity of the liquid play a part? Would the volatility difference be a problem. All things that are very hard to compare.
4v6

Post by 4v6 »

Those are interesting points for sure and i have to say i hadn't actually thought of them.

There are a few rather large discrepancies between what i did for a test and what conditions exist in the inlet port while the engine is running that i think will be hard to replicate.
The vacuum source i used wasnt exactly powerful so airflow was vastly under that i think which could be expected in a running engine, and the airflow in a real port is pulsating so i believe its highly likely that the staining visible in the first instance could change if it was possible to apply an airflow that had a similar speed to real life engine conditions.
Also the ports were cold and i had no inlet manifold attached, so i will attempt a similiar experiment with these attached and the head warmed through. I think i may need to invest in a rather large centrifugal fan to get some higher airspeeds though.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Hints:

1. The dye will stick to the powder. Will the fuel?

2. If the fuel droplets are exposed to turbulence in the airstream will that aid combustion?

3. If yes to (3) would that mean that that aspect - if such it is - would be of more importance than achieving higher massflow from the port than it already has?

GC
TR-Spider

Post by TR-Spider »

Hm, droplets in airflow is a really complex topic, I'll give it a try:

First, the fuel droplets get injectected into the airstream typically with an angle to the airflow (port), lets say 10-30‚°.
The injection velocity (nozzle exit) with a fuel pressure of 2-3 bar will be around 15 m/s.
The average air velocity in the port will be around 30 m/s (TC, 0.5 liter per cylinder, 6500 rpm).

When exiting the injector, a specific droplet size is formed, depending on the pressure drop, the geometry of the injector, typically a hollow-cone spray.

Now, due to the difference in fuel and air velocity and the difference in direction, the forces of the airflow act on the fuel droplets and break them into smaller ones, thus reducing the droplet size.

The turbulence in the airflow (effectively the air molecules' secondary movement overlaying the main flow direction) puts additional stress on the fuel droplets and further reduce their size. Just imagine how stirred and shaken the airflow must be with the valve opening 50 times a second!

I don't know the evaporation curve of car fuel, but I think that evaporation (transition from liquid to gaseous fuel) within an air flow with 25‚°-35‚° does not happen (maybe I'm wrong here). BUT of course it will happen, as soon as a fuel droplet will hit a hot wall or the valve. They will evaporate the faster the smaller they are.

So the answer to Guy's question will be
1. no, will evaporate
2. yes, because the turbulence improves the mixing
3. no, higher massflow is mandatory for higher power. The mixing will just take place, it has lots of time to mix on its way through the valve seat, down into the cylinder and up again onto the sparkplug.

Thomas
4v6

Post by 4v6 »

I suspect that the fuel would stick to the port wall in the vicinity of where the dye staining ocurred.
I say that because after observing the port in it's as used condition it show's a clearly washed area (injector spray i suspect).

I think some evaporation would occur due to the head temperature and the airstream in the port, but how much i couldn't begin to hazard a guess at. There wouldn't be much time for evaporation to occur on a large scale before the charge get's inducted surely?

If the droplet's are exposed to turbulence then i would think that the combustion efficiency would rise due to a more homogeneous mixture being ignited.

I cannot be sure that just getting more air into the cylinder by itself is of greater importance than an efficiently mixed charge, i would say that its of equal importance.
Less airflow into the surely cylinder mean's less power, but so does a poorly mixed charge as it won't burn completely enough to release it's full potential, however, i stand by to be corrected.
Attachments
V6 inlet port washed area.
V6 inlet port washed area.
S8000973small.jpg (266.78 KiB) Viewed 10013 times