Progress to date on MY Ford V6 rebuild

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
Alan Whitaker

Progress to date on MY Ford V6 rebuild

Post by Alan Whitaker »

Hi All
I know you all like details with pictures so here goes.

To date old engine stripped and duff parts binned, I have decided to replace the STD conrods and pistons as the rebuild will include a turbocharger, I have chosen R & R Racing steel rods from Chicago IL but 16 weeks delivery and TRW forged pistons with Total Seal gapless rings.

The old crank has had one regrind so out it went, I had 2 new cranks from Neil Brown which I got as spares many years ago both cross drilled and un ground on both the mains and big ends, these have now been ground with large radiuses on both mains and rods, Full set of steel mains a line bore and new cam bearings.

The block was STD on the bores so it is being kept, the TRW pistons are STD so a rebore of .030 has been done along with wills ring groves; I have had the groves made .020 deeper so the last job will be to clean the block deck up.

The heads have been crack and pressure tested and unleaded exhaust seats fitted, inlet seats cut undersize so there is plenty metal to be removed when the seats and guides are done, the heads have pressed in rocker studs but will be replaced when new ones arrive ( long delivery again)
The valves are exhaust Porsche turbo sodium filled 40mm with 8.92 stems and the inlets are 45mm with 7.87 stems, I think the extra 12% on the exhaust valves should transfer heat quicker having a larger contact area (12%).

One week point of the Ford V6 was the timing gear so I have gone to steel made from good En 40B, I have a friend who cuts gears so he used the old ones as samples and cut new ones, I still have some machining to do but they are ready to fit and mark up when I fit the cam, I made them venires style so I can set the timing spot on.

Kent did the cam from a chilled cast blank, I said it was for turbo use and went with there recommendations, they supplied the double springs and titanium caps.

The old engine had a single down draft carb which has been replaced with a 4 barrel style throttle body with 8 fuel injectors and turbo plenum,
the ECU is Megasquirt with Ford EDIS ignition. I purchased the turbo a few years ago and just kept it in the house for the rebuild.

The oil pump has gone and a pace slim jim 3 stage pump will be installed along with a home made custom alloy sump, 2 gallons of oil through a Peterson oil filter and oil cooler.

I have a 2 stage nitrous with water cooling to fit and some GC head porting to finish off, so some pictures hope they are ok for detail as I don¢ž¢t use a camera often
Attachments
Pace Slim Jim Dry Sump Pump to be mounted
Pace Slim Jim Dry Sump Pump to be mounted
021.JPG (29.44 KiB) Viewed 2755 times
timing gear and cam boss still to drill and tap fixing bolts
timing gear and cam boss still to drill and tap fixing bolts
016.JPG (31.47 KiB) Viewed 2746 times
Heads with unleaded inserts un ground, inlets opened out ready for GC work
Heads with unleaded inserts un ground, inlets opened out ready for GC work
020.JPG (27.58 KiB) Viewed 2746 times
The black dots are from the valve stems painted black to mark the valve cut out pockets
The black dots are from the valve stems painted black to mark the valve cut out pockets
019.JPG (28.43 KiB) Viewed 2747 times
Still to finish off with a baffel
Still to finish off with a baffel
028.JPG (27.96 KiB) Viewed 2746 times
Outside of sump
Outside of sump
027.JPG (22.65 KiB) Viewed 2746 times
Turbo plenum
Turbo plenum
024.JPG (26.32 KiB) Viewed 2747 times
Nice turbo still to fab exhaust and wastegate
Nice turbo still to fab exhaust and wastegate
026.JPG (34.11 KiB) Viewed 2746 times
Steel mains
Steel mains
022.JPG (31.95 KiB) Viewed 2746 times
Throttle body with 8 injectors.<br />Manifold still to be finished off
Throttle body with 8 injectors.
Manifold still to be finished off
023.JPG (27.01 KiB) Viewed 2746 times
Crank gear, EDIS and dry pump drive
Crank gear, EDIS and dry pump drive
018.JPG (35.38 KiB) Viewed 2746 times
Test fit on engine, bolts still to mark out and drill/tap when cam in and timed up
Test fit on engine, bolts still to mark out and drill/tap when cam in and timed up
017.JPG (33.82 KiB) Viewed 2746 times
Timing gear on lathe still to finish off
Timing gear on lathe still to finish off
015.JPG (34.21 KiB) Viewed 2747 times
Megasquirt and 1.5 ratio roller rockers
Megasquirt and 1.5 ratio roller rockers
033.JPG (25.14 KiB) Viewed 2746 times
Well last 2 days and it has gone from a car to a wreck, ready for the rebuild
Well last 2 days and it has gone from a car to a wreck, ready for the rebuild
243.JPG (32.51 KiB) Viewed 2736 times
My work horse, they all know where to come for the little jobs like fixing a gate to an exhaust
My work horse, they all know where to come for the little jobs like fixing a gate to an exhaust
029.JPG (35.03 KiB) Viewed 2716 times