Oil cooler position

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
cheitane2003

Oil cooler position

Post by cheitane2003 »

Guy:
First, I wish you and all the members a Happy New 2007.
Second, my question:
I need to install an oil cooler in my Beta Coupe,I locate it in an airstream to allow air in and out as you can see.
Will I have syphoning back problems when the engine is turned off?Will my engine run dry for a while when I start it?It is letal?
Is absolutely necesary to install this cooler lower than the sandwich plate? other diferent position will not have this airstream...
Excuse me for so many cuestion,but if I made every thing right,all the cuestions are selfanswered at all.
Thank you very much.
Yours faithfully,
Attachments
Imagen 4810.jpg
Imagen 4810.jpg (35.18 KiB) Viewed 6420 times
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Hi Siro!

Well done for asking. This is OK but only if the oil filter MUST have an anti syphon valve (rubber flap in the top under the series of oil entry holes.

Fill the cooler and hose lines before cranking up oil pressure if the engine has been rebuilt. If it is a new-rebuilt engine let me know because oil pump priming is important.

GC
cheitane2003

Post by cheitane2003 »

Guy:
Thanks a lot.
I will try to find a filter with that valve,I hope this is not a big problem.
Does anybody knows a filter referece for this purpose?MAN,PBR,,,
Is there any method to fill the cooler when the inside and the outside tubes are both downdraft?Can I fill it only with the starter motor?.
The motor is new rebuilt (sleeving,rings,bearings,block and head refacing,ported,lightened flywheel...)
Best regards.
Attachments
Imagen 035.jpg
Imagen 035.jpg (78.52 KiB) Viewed 6395 times
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Hi, sorry for the slow reply, a very busy week.

I will try to find a filter with that valve. I hope this is not a big problem.
Does anybody knows a filter referece for this purpose? MAN,PBR.

I use Motaquip VFL 150, I can see from your photo that you have fitted a Lancia Montecarlo oil filter housing so there is plenty of room for this larger filter (also used on Ford Sierra 2 liter I think). If you want to buy from me I always have them in stock - it is easy to mail it and it will leave by air mail within 24hrs.

Is there any method to fill the cooler when the inside and the outside tubes are both downdraft?

Just pull the pipe off the sandwich block and fill one with a jug.

Can I fill it only with the starter motor?

I would not recommend cranking the engine to do that, although you can spin the auxiliary driveshaft with an electric drill -but be careful the fuel pump lobe does not hit no2 con rod! Definitely do not use the starter with the head off in that case as it can fracture the shaft. Remember that the aux d/s has to be timed up if the fuel pump lobe is not removed and plugged.

The motor is new rebuilt (sleeving, rings, bearings, block and head refacing, ported, lightened flywheel)

OK - Do the operations above and also before cranking up oil pressure make sure the pump is primed by pouring oil into the outer gallery on the oil filter mounting (outside the threaded union 3/4UNF that the filter fits on). If you pour oil in there it will go direct to the pump and wet it. if you don't wet it up it takes a very long time to get oil pressure and this damages the bearings. Of course it is a good idea to wet the pump with oil and grease mixture when building up the engine. Fill the cam boxes with engine oil. I think it is a good idea to start cranking the engine (with the head on of course) with the oil cooler hoses disconnected, don't connect them until you are sure oil is being fed from the pump.

GC
cheitane2003

Post by cheitane2003 »

Thank you very much Guy, just to say that all the Betas mounted in Spain use this oil mounting hose as standar...Al least I found an oil filter that suit cooler.
Attachments
Imagen 073r.jpg
Imagen 073r.jpg (86.37 KiB) Viewed 6259 times
Tico

Post by Tico »

Guys
In my Beta I placed the oil cooler in exactly the same place (up from filter), but using a sandwich plate from mocal that is fitted with thermostat that closes (making the oil go out the hose to the cooler) when temp is high . Would I have a starving problem the first time that it closes?
Tks
Acki

Post by Acki »

You should fill the cooler because is this position you maybe don't get all the air out of the cooler.