Lancia Stratos with 2.0L 8V rolling chassis

Post pics of your car in here
Paul Eustace

Re: Lancia Stratos with 2.0L 8V rolling chassis

Post by Paul Eustace »

Last week I received my V5C and I am on the road! I am delighted with the way it drives and even in 'Engine Break-In' mode the engine is really crisp and is clearly going to be lots of fun. No oil or coolant leaks, plugs look ok, gear change is a little stiff but will likely improve, the new drivers seat set up with 'Recaro Double Locking Runners' has provided slightly increased headroom and adjustment to enable my sons to drive!

I have at this stage only driven around the local lanes but unfortunately I must now return the car to my workshop for a couple of days whilst I modify the rear clam bodywork. The bodywork does not have sufficient clearance to accommodate the exhaust system as you can see from the photograph below.

When Lance of OJZ Engineering discussed the design of this system we agreed that I would modify the rear bodywork to provide clearance. I was fooling myself by hoping that the bodywork heat shield and Zircotec coating would suffice. There are no short cuts!
Bodywork recess required
Bodywork recess required
Heat shield looking unhappy!.jpg (62.45 KiB) Viewed 39718 times
Paul Eustace

Post by Paul Eustace »

Here are some photographs of the fibreglass modification to the rear clam bodywork to accommodate the exhaust system. I now have a good 50mm plus of clearance between the exhaust headers and the bodywork. After a good few miles driving I checked the bodywork temperature and 52C was the highest I measured so I am happy with that.

My current problem is a coolant hose collapse! When ticking over and running slowly the coolant hoses maintain their form and coolant temperature is ok. When I hit 4,000rpm the temperature gauge starts to climb and as soon as I slow the revs the temperature falls back in a couple of seconds to 80C! I believe the water pump is sucking a hose flat. When I stop and jump out with my infrared temperature gauge all the coolant pipes are at around 50C with the exception of the top rail!

The car will tick-over all day at a maximum of 85C!
Attachments
Header to boot bulkhead clearance
Header to boot bulkhead clearance
Rear Clam modification4.jpg (37.46 KiB) Viewed 39677 times
Zircotec sheet protecting the bodywork
Zircotec sheet protecting the bodywork
Rear Clam modification3.jpg (43.96 KiB) Viewed 39677 times
Fibreglass repair was applied from inside the boot!
Fibreglass repair was applied from inside the boot!
Rear Clam modification2.jpg (47.03 KiB) Viewed 39677 times
Hole cut in rear clam to form recess.
Hole cut in rear clam to form recess.
Rear Clam modification1.jpg (49.45 KiB) Viewed 39677 times
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

hoses sucked flat or radiator too small or insufficient flow thru-and out (venting)..

G
Guy Croft, owner
Paul Eustace

Post by Paul Eustace »

I have finally resolved my over heating problems. I installed a Davies Craig electric water pump (EWP80) in tandem with the MonteCarlo mechanical coolant pump.
I drilled two 5mm holes in the in-head thermostat to enable the EWP80 to run even when the thermostat is closed.
I installed the EWP in the radiator return pipework by the radiator. The pump is orientated such that air cannot be trapped near the pump gland.
I have replaced the cylinder head over temperature switch with the Davies Craig temperature sensor putting the sensor right at the top of the cylinder head.
I fitted the pump controller in the centre console in front of the gear lever.
I am currently using a target coolant temperature of 85C. At 65C the pump runs for 10 seconds at 6 volts and then lies dormant for 10 seconds. At 80C the pump runs at 6 volts and increases linearly to 12 volts at 85C.
The coolant temperature now remains between 75C and 78C. The oil temperature is very similar.
I have also applied Zircotec's ZircoFlex sheet to chassis tubes and the coolant pump inlet pipework to stop the exhaust manifold heating the coolant.
Attachments
Davies,Craig EWP80 in radiator return pipework.jpg
Davies,Craig EWP80 in radiator return pipework.jpg (56.83 KiB) Viewed 38967 times
EWP in radiator return pipework.jpg
EWP in radiator return pipework.jpg (53.77 KiB) Viewed 38967 times
EWP80.jpg
EWP80.jpg (35.5 KiB) Viewed 38967 times
Davies, Craig temperature sensor.jpg
Davies, Craig temperature sensor.jpg (65.65 KiB) Viewed 38967 times
Zircotec's ZircoFlex on chassis tubes and coolant pump inlet.jpg
Zircotec's ZircoFlex on chassis tubes and coolant pump inlet.jpg (40.95 KiB) Viewed 38967 times
Paul Eustace

Post by Paul Eustace »

I recently finished upgrading my front brakes using HiSpec Billet Calipers, 300 * 24mm Rotors and Bells.
Next I want to fit HiSpec Electronic handbrake rear calipers together with the same rotors and bells as used on the front.
I will then fit an hydraulic handbrake.
Once I have the rear brakes sorted I will be ready to take my car to Snetterton for a track day. I promised Guy I will post some video. Now I have the coolant running 75-78C and the oil below 85C I have been able to really enjoy myself this summer.
It goes without saying the engine is absolutely brilliant.
HiSpec Billet Wheel View.jpg
HiSpec Billet Wheel View.jpg (22.77 KiB) Viewed 38691 times
HiSpec Billet Caliper and brackets.jpg
HiSpec Billet Caliper and brackets.jpg (26.4 KiB) Viewed 38691 times
HiSpec Billet Caliper, Rotor and Bell.jpg
HiSpec Billet Caliper, Rotor and Bell.jpg (21.81 KiB) Viewed 38691 times
HiSpec Billet Suspension View.jpg
HiSpec Billet Suspension View.jpg (20.03 KiB) Viewed 38691 times
HiSpec Billet.jpg
HiSpec Billet.jpg (21.8 KiB) Viewed 38691 times
HiSpec Universal Bracket bolted to my brake hanger bracket.jpg
HiSpec Universal Bracket bolted to my brake hanger bracket.jpg (52.54 KiB) Viewed 38691 times
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

MODEL POST!

So much useful information here, superbly described and photographed..

well done Paul..

G
Guy Croft, owner
Paul Eustace

Post by Paul Eustace »

Here is my rear brake solution. I had been driving the car with the Lancia HPE rear calipers but that was only ever going to be a convenient starting point.

I thought long and hard about brake balance. With a mid-engined car with a static mass of 350kg front axle and 540kg rear axle with full tanks but no driver clearly the rear brakes had to do some work.

I choose HiSpec Ultralite 4 calipers with 4 x 34mm pistons to match the front HiSpec Billet calipers with 4 x 41mm pistons. These are both used with 300mm x 24mm HiSpec rotors with custom bells to fit these into my 15" split rim Compomotive wheels. HiSpec gave me some good advice about master cylinder balance, I run a 5/8" master cylinder for the front and a 3/4" for the rear.

For a parking brake I have installed the HiSpec Electronic Spot calipers. The removal of the mechanical handbrake cables and handbrake lever from the centre console and back of the engine bay vastly simplifies access to the back of the engine.

I am using an OBP hydraulic handbrake as you can't really have a rally car without one...... Here are some photos.
Rear Brake Calipers1.jpg
Rear Brake Calipers1.jpg (21.14 KiB) Viewed 38301 times
Rear Calipers2.jpg
Rear Calipers2.jpg (22.63 KiB) Viewed 38301 times
Rear Calipers3.jpg
Rear Calipers3.jpg (24.49 KiB) Viewed 38301 times
Rear Calipers4.jpg
Rear Calipers4.jpg (18.84 KiB) Viewed 38301 times
Will01

Post by Will01 »

Looks good, and very shiny!
With the removal of handbrake cables does the electronic caliper get you through the MOT test( sorry i am assuming UK)?
It was always that if the car had a handbrake operated with cables you had to have to get through the MOT?

As for balance are you adjusting the master cylinder sizes to try and balance or will you also use manaul pressure valves to balance out. Or will you maybe use a automatic bias valve?
GC_21
Paul Eustace

Post by Paul Eustace »

The MOT requires a separate means of applying a parking/emergency brake that should not be hydraulic. Lots of modern cars have an electric switch operated handbrake but most use an electric motor to pull conventional cables. The HiSpec electronic calipers take the motors to the calipers avoiding the need for cables.

The point about brake balance is that the mix of master cylinder size and caliper piston size results in around a 3:1 ratio of braking pressure between the front and rear brakes. I simply guessed that this would be about right in a mid-engined car. My son's Porsche Boxster has a similar balance so it can't be far out.

I have a Tilton pedal box with an adjustable brake balance bar allowing me to fine tune the brake balance. This is not as simple to set up as you might consider. With your foot applying heavy braking pressure you have to get the balance bar parallel to the front bulkhead to attain good brake feel. You also must ensure the brake balance will lock the front end ahead of the rear axle otherwise braking will be dangerous.

By adjusting the length of the master cylinder pushrods good brake feel can be achieved. Twisting the brake balance knob moves the brake balance bar fulcrum between the front and rear master cylinders.
Will01

Post by Will01 »

Interesting point, i never looked at it that way. I wonder if i am just outdated with MOT regulations as i thought it always said you had to maintain a mechanical means of applying the parking brake.

But obviously many new cars now only have the electronic brake option so it has obviously changed over the years.
I wonder maybe that they clasify years of cars then that they allow electronic parking brakes on?
Anyway i find it interesting so all is good. Many of my colleagues work on such devices so is an interesting item.

As for the info on the balance setup, you answered as i expected and i agree. I will be going through this pain myself hopefully this year to sort out my own brake package, but i am also having to build my own bias box to fit in my car. The sensible part of me(there is not alot of that!) says i should just buy something and try and make it fit, but hey ho, i like a challenge!

Have fun with the car, good reading and good info
Will
GC_21
Paul Eustace

Post by Paul Eustace »

I recently installed a Lifeline 360 3kg fire extinguisher. I selected this system as the kit includes everything you need and uses Novec™1230 suppressant.

The push fit pipework is really easy to use although I did buy some additional 90 degree elbows to make the pipe runs as neat as possible.

I fitted the cockpit nozzles into the footwell on the heater air distribution box. Two of the engine bay nozzles are located either side of the engine with one of these pointing at the exhaust system. The third engine bay nozzle is aimed at the carburettors. The fuel tanks get plenty of coverage.

Whilst installing this system I took the opportunity to redesign the centre console and improve the gear change mount points. The gear change is much improved.
Attachments
Lifeline external pull.jpg
Lifeline external pull.jpg (45.32 KiB) Viewed 37517 times
Engine Bay Extinguisher Nozzle aimed at carburettors.jpg
Engine Bay Extinguisher Nozzle aimed at carburettors.jpg (20.4 KiB) Viewed 37517 times
Engine Bay Extinguisher Nozzle.jpg
Engine Bay Extinguisher Nozzle.jpg (56.94 KiB) Viewed 37517 times
Engine Bay Extinguisher Nozzle RHS.jpg
Engine Bay Extinguisher Nozzle RHS.jpg (52.21 KiB) Viewed 37517 times
Footwell Lifeline Extinguisher Nozzles.jpg
Footwell Lifeline Extinguisher Nozzles.jpg (18.24 KiB) Viewed 37517 times
Cockpit Lifeline Extinguisher.jpg
Cockpit Lifeline Extinguisher.jpg (19.16 KiB) Viewed 37517 times
Cockpit fire extinguisher.jpg
Cockpit fire extinguisher.jpg (54.44 KiB) Viewed 37517 times
Lifeline 360 fire extinguisher kit.jpg
Lifeline 360 fire extinguisher kit.jpg (27.99 KiB) Viewed 37517 times
Will01

Post by Will01 »

Very neat install.
I also have a lifeline system now, which i will plumb in, but when driving on the road i will be making sure the external pull is disconnected!
I have heard from other guys i know that they have had numpties see the car and run over to them when in traffic or if parked and pulled the extinguisher!
Thankfully at the track the same numpties do not seem to be present, but it makes right a mess.

You have done some really great work on that car. well done
GC_21
Paul Eustace

Post by Paul Eustace »

Here is the wonderful sound that a Guy Croft 8V Lancia engine gives you:

https://youtu.be/dfroXQxIuFc