MSD IGNITION

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
Brit01

Re: MSD IGNITION

Post by Brit01 »

n2oxide wrote:Drill the 4 rivets, open it up and post up a picture.

Perry
Will do Perry when I get a chance.
Yes I am surprised it burnt out the new MSD SS Blaster coil specifically designed to work in tandem with the MSD unit. (unless its just a piece of Chinese garbage - the blaster coil that is).

C
bernie

Post by bernie »

Brit01 wrote:
bernie wrote:Now they tell me!!!!!!!!
what have we told you?
Suppose to be an ironic comment!!!
Obviously not a very good one.
Sorry to cast doubt on your knowledge.

I bought mine through (can I mention who Guy?) a bonefide uk retailer not from an online auction.
So no problems here

Thanks again to Brit01 and Perry
Book 28
Too many 124
Brit01

Post by Brit01 »

bernie wrote:
Brit01 wrote:
bernie wrote:Now they tell me!!!!!!!!
what have we told you?
Suppose to be an ironic comment!!!
Obviously not a very good one.
Sorry to cast doubt on your knowledge.

I bought mine through (can I mention who Guy?) a bonefide uk retailer not from an online auction.
So no problems here

Thanks again to Brit01 and Perry
Lol sorry mate. I'm very ironic, just missed that one. Must have been multi-tasking at work or something.

Mine was a very old analogue unit but NOS. Same as the new vintage unit but original so I thought the good old USA components would have been good. Have some old vintage power amps from USA around the same era and they are made very well.

Haven't had the chance to take the unit out yet. Running on Bosch stock.
Smoothly but you can smell the difference when idling. With the MSD the tailpipe had a much cleaner smell (full combustion like a modern engine) but now its back to its old carb smell, borderline rich.

At least I know its capability and would most definitely buy a new digital unit.

CD
IVOR BORLAND

Post by IVOR BORLAND »

HI.I have just got a good but used 2nd hand msd 6al 6420 system from a proformance supplier / builder in the states but without instructions. The instructions are not a problem due to the info on here. The problem is I have a Lumenition optronic ign system fitted and i'am not sure where to start to install the msd system . What do i ditch if anything ,how do I combine the two systems. What wires to wires etc .It is to be fitted to a 135 bhp Fiat Uno tarmac rally car running twin 40's and std ignition with the lumenition optronic system . Any info would be a help.THANKS to anyone that reply. IVOR.
Guy Book no 184.
n2oxide

Post by n2oxide »

Ivor, I have this kind of setup on my MG/TF. I'll go to my workshop this week and double check which wires from the lumenition mate to the MSD. Do not ditch any of the lumenition stuff, it works well firing the MSD.

Perry
GC_86
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

good on you Perry

GC
Guy Croft, owner
IVOR BORLAND

Post by IVOR BORLAND »

HI . Thanks Perry . I thought there must be a way it could be done but I was not sure . I will wait for the reply . Do not put yourself out , whenever you get time . I'am glad that there is a way to do it . Thanks , Ivor.
Guy Book no 184.
n2oxide

Post by n2oxide »

Doing it this way you have to just remember that the existing lumenition with it's optronic trigger will instead now be triggering the MSD. This is a very efficient way of doing this as the optronic trigger is very good indeed as well as ultra reliable. The lumenition module becomes a gateway for the MSD to get a cylinder position reading; the module no longer fires the coil.

Perry
GC_86
IVOR BORLAND

Post by IVOR BORLAND »

HI Perry . Thanks . I never had a problem with Lumenition but after all the info on these posts ( Guys site in general is the best site for good info that you can use . Any time I want to change something I go on here to see what other people have done ) I thought I would try the msd 6al all be it the older one which cost me £130 incl postage and incl a MSD coil still wired to the unit. Just a note for those that think that they have a fake msd . The MSD web site has a tell tell advice on how to tell the difference between the two apart from what is on here like the type off screws that MSD use etc. If anyone on here are thinking of buying a used item be sure who you get it from. I had taken a chance and it was ok. The seller was a competition engine builder and sell all motorsport products .You buy good products from good suppliers like Guy etc and you will have no problems. Sorry for the ranting.Ivor.
Guy Book no 184.
n2oxide

Post by n2oxide »

MSD with Lumenition Optronic Pickup...

BIG FAT RED - to Battery +Positive (or back of starter motor)
BIG FAT BLACK - to battery -Negative (or good clean/new earth) (Do NOT earth to same as engine)
SMALL RED - splice into small red on the Lumenition Unit (so when Lumenition turns on, so does MSD)(or take the existing Coil +Positive OFF and connect to the Small Red)
SMALL WHITE - connect to Lumenition Unit BROWN (which if I'm not mistaken goes to Coil -Negative)
Small Orange to COIL +Positive
Small Black to COIL -Negative
NOTHING ELSE TO TOUCH THE COIL - SO REMOVE ANY OTHER WIRES TO THE COIL
You may not get a tach signal, so the wire to the coil (NOT FROM THE LUMENITION) -Negative can connect to the spade connector on the side of the MSD Unit.

Perry
GC_86
IVOR BORLAND

Post by IVOR BORLAND »

A BIG THANKS PERRY.I will try this . I thought they had to be a way . THANKS , IVOR.
Guy Book no 184.
Brit01

Post by Brit01 »

Better late than never.
Finally got it out.
Looks very genuine. Sprague cap.
All in epoxy.
I will try it again as I am not sure what part was failing. It never had the options for different cylinder numbers so I am not sure how that works.
Attachments
20130728_msdsmall.jpg
20130728_msdsmall.jpg (99.93 KiB) Viewed 10364 times
Brit01

Post by Brit01 »

I have to say the components inside this unit are the kinds I would use on my high end valve amplifiers.
Sprague caps (expensive), what looks like Allen Bradley resistors(no longer produced but can still be found from some sources) which are some of the best for audio production.
All hand made and then sprayed in epoxy.
n2oxide

Post by n2oxide »

That looks like a really really old one ! Like 25 yeas old !
I have one that old somewhere; will dig it out and open her up.

P
GC_86
Brit01

Post by Brit01 »

n2oxide wrote:That looks like a really really old one ! Like 25 yeas old !
I have one that old somewhere; will dig it out and open her up.

P
Yes it was a NOS unit. In its original box also. Untouched.
It has the same casing as the new special edition Vintage Unit!!

At least I know its capabilities now albeit a bit outdated. I would not hesitate buying a new digital unit if one day I'm in USA.

MSD reply:
thats an old "blue" board 6200....( cira 1982 to 1995) ..
that c.d. ignition can be used on any 4-6-8- or 12cylinder engine... the cylinder loops are only on the rev-limiter boxes.