1990 Fiat Uno Turbo Issues

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
Dope

1990 Fiat Uno Turbo Issues

Post by Dope »

Hi all,

This is my first post and by that it means I am a noob here :) Well, hopefully not for too long. I have a 1990 model Fiat Uno Turbo. It is a South Africa model. I am not sure if it is MK1 or MK2 but it is the better looking one that I have seen from overseas. It is dead stock standard, but the turbo blew. When I took the turbo off I came to realize the exhaust manifold had been repaired on a previous occasion and where they welded it, it cracked again. Hence it is regarded as a scrapyard gate ornament. Due to the fact that one has very little space near the firewall for a bigger turbo, one can also not fit a very good custom made exhaust manifold because there is just not too much space to be able to do so. Now this is where I need some help.

I need some help to source an exhaust manifold. I have heard of people having theirs made for them which improved power and so on but, given the space issues I am not sure how. Can anyone push me into the right direction to enable me to get one made or get a standard one? Also, I have a huge and more serious issue with the brakes on my car. The issue is there basically is none. The standard brakes are rather pathetic to say the least. Does anyone know of a bolt on kit from another make that I can use to improve it? I have heard some folks say that they heard that one can use the Alfa 145 or even 147 brakes? (Calipers and discs) Again, he said she said so I am at a bit of a lost to be honest. Anything that can better the brakes will be well received.

GC, great site and hats off to you and the folks that make this site so great.

Dope
WhizzMan

Re: 1990 Fiat Uno Turbo Issues

Post by WhizzMan »

If it's a 4*98 setup, I'd investigate Alfa 155 V6, 145/146 1.8 and 2.0 TS16V 155 2.0 TS16V, Fiat coupe 16V (turbo) or Fiat Coupe 20V turbo for discs. The coupe 16V, 155, 145/6 are 284*22mm with different offsets (hat height). The coupe 20V has 304/28mm discs. I don't know if you can get the calipers to fit without adapters, maybe someone here can tell you?
Book #348
Dope

Post by Dope »

WhizzMan wrote:If it's a 4*98 setup, I'd investigate Alfa 155 V6, 145/146 1.8 and 2.0 TS16V 155 2.0 TS16V, Fiat coupe 16V (turbo) or Fiat Coupe 20V turbo for discs. The coupe 16V, 155, 145/6 are 284*22mm with different offsets (hat height). The coupe 20V has 304/28mm discs. I don't know if you can get the calipers to fit without adapters, maybe someone here can tell you?
Hi Whizz,

yes, I thought that much thanks. I will look into it and see if I can make something of this Info :) Now I just need to get info on the exhaust manifold issue...

Dope
tricky

Post by tricky »

Hi Dope,

I like an uno turbo, had quite a few and with well sorted engines too. Good looking one ? that'l be the mk2 then !

Firstly if the car is completely standard, you will gain nothing but hassle trying to fit some aftermarket manifold on it, even highly modifyed engines just don't need anything other than the OE cast one to make over 200 bhp with ease. The manifold craking is a well known issue, to repair it properly I have heard you need to use an arc (stick) welder with rods specially for welding cast iron and it would need to be pre-heated in an oven prior to being welded, speak to a pro about it perhaps.

As for big turbos, I know first hand there is room for a T 28 from something like a nissan pulsar gtir or similar, fitted to a std manifold but you might have to remove some of the firewall protection. If you don't want a turbo THAT big, turbo-technics (UK) do a nice hybrid that can potentialy take you to the magic 200 bhp area with suporting mods. Also try the turbocollective forum, the guys on there might be able to sort you out with a used manifold.

Sorry can't help with the brakes, I used to run an aftermarket brake kit.
Twice as many valves
Dope

Post by Dope »

Cool. Thank you for the advice. I will get on it now:)

Dope
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

You might also look at the Punto GT set up -- disks are identical to Alfa 155, but the later calipers (identified by the external spring) are much better (you'll find them on Fiat Mareas, too, but make sure you get ones to suit a vented disk. These, with 14" wheels, are pretty much de-rigour on Turbo Cinquecentos and Seicentos over here. Very sharp brakes with lots of feel on the stock Cinq/Sei master cylinder.

I, too, doubt if you'll gain anything useful in performance from an aftermarket manifold, but you may gain in durability. Use the old manifold to construct a jig, use schedule 40 "weldels" (available in all sorts of bends -- it's the stuff gas and steam pipes are built from) in steel or stainless.

Another repair technique for cast manifolds is to TIG with stainless rod (although why this works remains a mystery to me). Again, pre-heating and slow cooling (absolutely no draughts!) are absolutely essential.
GC_06
WhizzMan

Post by WhizzMan »

fingers99 wrote:You might also look at the Punto GT set up -- disks are identical to Alfa 155, but the later calipers (identified by the external spring) are much better (you'll find them on Fiat Mareas, too, but make sure you get ones to suit a vented disk. These, with 14" wheels, are pretty much de-rigour on Turbo Cinquecentos and Seicentos over here. Very sharp brakes with lots of feel on the stock Cinq/Sei master cylinder.

I, too, doubt if you'll gain anything useful in performance from an aftermarket manifold, but you may gain in durability. Use the old manifold to construct a jig, use schedule 40 "weldels" (available in all sorts of bends -- it's the stuff gas and steam pipes are built from) in steel or stainless.

Another repair technique for cast manifolds is to TIG with stainless rod (although why this works remains a mystery to me). Again, pre-heating and slow cooling (absolutely no draughts!) are absolutely essential.
External springs? Could you please explain? The only place I've seen springs on calipers is on the rear hand brake mechanism.
Book #348
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

Tried to find you a picture but failed miserably! Anyway, the earlier front calipers are identical to Alfa 155 ones, the later ones do, indeed, have a very visible external spring -- I think it's "just" a device to hold the pads in place -- runs across the width of the caliper on one side. The earlier ones are said to be a bit "wooden" in operation, at least on Cinqs. The later ones (which appeared after the 155 was dropped) have a bigger pad area, too.

They were fitted to a lot of FIATs, but the Marea is probably the safest option to get the right ones -- again, the appearance is the same as the non-vented version (but the sliders on the non-vented type calipers are not wide enough to accomodate vented disks) -- you'll need the vented ones if you intend stopping a tweaked Uno Tub more than once. :)
GC_06
WhizzMan

Post by WhizzMan »

Are you talking rear brakes or front? The rears on the 155 can be two different systems, both have springs. The springs are for the hand braking system to pull the cable back. In the front, there are two different systems available as well. One has tiny springs riveted to the pads to keep them in place. Do you mean those?
Book #348
TomLouwrier

Post by TomLouwrier »

morning guys

I'd say Fingers means the anti rattle springs. They are indeed mounted at the outside (wheel-) face of the caliper on some models.
This one is an example from an online parts catalog (no copyright issues as far as I know!); it's an ATE from a Fiat Fiorino.
fiat fiorino front brake caliper.jpg
fiat fiorino front brake caliper.jpg (49.02 KiB) Viewed 11026 times
regards
Tom
GC_29
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

That looks right to me, Tom. They are the fronts. While some folk do fit the rear calipers (often pinched off Alfas) to the Centos, it's pretty much a waste of time -- the drums give better feel and, used hard, the rear wheels are barely in contact with the road surface. The fronts, however, used with suitable tyres and wheels, transform the car.
GC_06