Identification of TC inlet manifold

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
Graham Stewart

Identification of TC inlet manifold

Post by Graham Stewart »

Hello Guy,

I wonder if I could trouble you to identify an inlet manifold that has been offered to me. I am looking for a manifold to suit a Lancia Beta Spyder 2 litre engine to which I intend to fit twin DCOE 45 Webers. This engine/carb combination requires a specific inlet manifold to suit the inclination of the Beta engine and I am hopeful (although not entirely sure) that this is the one I am looking for. Can you confirm or deny? My apologies for the slightly fuzzy photographs; these were supplied by the seller.

Many thanks,

Graham
Manifold001.JPG
Manifold001.JPG (129.14 KiB) Viewed 8669 times
Manifold002.JPG
Manifold002.JPG (112.84 KiB) Viewed 8669 times
Manifold003.JPG
Manifold003.JPG (105.88 KiB) Viewed 8669 times
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Identification of TC inlet manifold

Post by Guy Croft »

No that will not work on the Beta with 20 deg engine tilt, it would need an angled adapter plate. It is the Mangoletsi Fiat 131/124 one.

G
Graham Stewart

Post by Graham Stewart »

Thanks very much for the quick response Guy, even if it was not really what I wanted to hear. To be honest I rather thought it was the 131/124 Fiat item, but was hoping it wasn't. I'm aware that adapter plates can be made up to convert these manifolds to Beta usage, but am pondering the advisability of doing that. I would have two concerns with adapting the 131/124 manifold;

1) Wouldn't the adapter plate add to the overall depth of the manifold compared to a 'proper' Beta one, and cause under-bonnet space complications with carbs and air filters?

2) Would the adapter plate compromise optimal flow through the manifold, again compared to the 'proper' Beta one? If so, how far away from optimum is it likely to be?

To which I'll add a 3rd question - are the Beta variants of this manifold still available (and I think I know the answer to that one, as well...) ?

Many thanks,

Graham
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

I have no GC Mbeta stock, sorry. I have the patterns but have not madeany for ages, they just sit on the shelf for years..

There are no problems with using the adapter setup all all. The adapter has to be drilled to bolt to the head and threaded to accept the 131 manifold. The adapter of course has to be fettled to allow a smooth transition from runner to port though. I would have round holes machined thru and then modify them.

G
Graham Stewart

Post by Graham Stewart »

Thanks again for the very quick and complete reply, Guy. Much appreciated.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Sure!

If you get someone to make an alloy plate (basically a 15-20deg wedge) I can give you the head and manifold mounting dims.

I am regrettably having to avoid making some stuff lately due to pressure of admin & doing quite a lot of heads & engines really.

G
Graham Stewart

Post by Graham Stewart »

Thanks for your kind offer, Guy. I may need to take you up on that. Eric Weston has advised me that Richard at Great British Sports Cars (aka Robin Hood) may be able to do this for me; I believe Eric has had something similar made up in the past. I'm hoping to speak to Richard early next week and will keep you posted.

Thanks again,

Graham
vandor

Post by vandor »

Graham,

I do have a GC sidedraft Beta manifold that I'd be willing to trade for a GC Fiat manifold.
I hope it's not inappropriate to post this here...

Csaba
GC book #288
Graham Stewart

Post by Graham Stewart »

Hi Csaba,

This sounds a perfect match, although I hasten to add that my manifold is a Mangoletsi item, not a GC one. I'll continue this conversation by PM, rather than in open forum. Hope this is OK, Guy.

Graham
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

No worries guys, well done for getting together!

G