VX with DCOE

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
wmausbach

VX with DCOE

Post by wmausbach »

Guy,
Can you give me a starting point for my Volumex. I'm fitting a 45 mm DCOE Weber on VX head with stock 8.0 CR. Stock VX cams also.
Thanks
Wayne
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: VX with DCOE

Post by Guy Croft »

When you say starting-point, do you mean jetting Wayne?

G
wmausbach

Post by wmausbach »

Guy,
I was asking for both the Venturi sizes and Jetting. I bought the VX from Stan Ramrize who set his up with your adapter and one of your fully flowed heads. His engine was then tuned by Robert at Shadetree to give 190hp but with extensive modifications such as 46 mm Intake Valves, 8 PSI Boost, and wilder Cams(GC IIB ). In fact his dyno sheet hp was still going up when he stopped it due to concerns with his lower end. My build specs are closer to stock with the exception of the higher 8 to 1 CR and the 45mm DCOE Weber. I was looking at starting with a 30 mm Venturi. According to my listing that is the smallest size for a 45. I do have a pair of 40's on another motor. I could use one of these if you think I need to go smaller, I just hate to break up the set on my other motor. Some others on various forums suggested 32's as a starting point but that is what Stan had on his.

This will be a hot street motor and I'm more interested in higher torque than total hp. I am shooting for 160 to 170 hp which is why I'm using stock VX cams, timing and boost. I know this will have to be dynoed to finalize but I looking for a starting point to save dyno time. My experience as been on NA Webers and I know supercharging is different. This is my first supercharged project.

Thanks
Wayne in Houston
PS Bye the way I have your original book and the DVD on head prep. I'm hoping for your new book at Xmas as I have been looking at Jason (Miller's MUle) and it is a worthy addition to your first.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Hullo Wayne

thanks, on Weber DCOE 45 on your VX unit I'd go 32mm choke with:

150 main
175 air corrector
F8 55 idle jet (though if F9 fitted I would try that, F8 is richer)
pump jet 55
needle valve 250
emulsion tube F16

I'd use the cam timing as per OE which is in my old book and stock 10 deg/34-36 deg ignition timing (the VX actually has a normally aspirated curve) with no vacuum advance.

Use a Facet Purolator fuel pump (type interrupter Silver Top) with no regulator, mounted close to the tank so it's pushing not pulling.

I don't know your installation but beware of carb icing. The issue is well-covered for aircraft but not so much for cars, eg:

http://www.fly13.co.uk/Tug/Carb%20Ice/Carb%20Icing.htm

I generally say that in conditions of high humidity (low pressure/damp weather) at temps below 12deg C ambient it can happen, esp on blown engine. Give careful thought to the intake setup.

G
wmausbach

Post by wmausbach »

Guy,
Thanks , that is exactly what I need. I've collected all my parts and my intent is to make a Volumex Spider clone. I started out to make a Abarth clone and bought copies of the manual from you a few years ago. After looking at all the work of fabricating the IRS, I decided to do something else. Stan was selling his backup Volumex from a Beta and he made me a good deal. Taking to Stan and then Chuck Storry at Freak Out convinced me this was the doable. Several guys got together along the way and made a short run of Volumex Brackets copied from an original casting. Hopefully I'll be putting it together this next year with my 1972 Spider. Lighter weight and more horsepower should make a fantastic street car. I'll be sure to keep you posted as I like the original simple design without all the black boxes. However the project has been more extensive than I originally thought and I would like to know if anybody has done this.
Ciao
Wayne in Houston
Andy007

Post by Andy007 »

Hello Werner,

i am Andy from germany and will fit also a Beta VX engine into my 1985 Spider. Everything is changed, but i think there is not enough space between the weber 45 DCOE and the master brake cylinder. Do you have a solution, e.g. another master brake cylinder ?
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

How about ditching the OE outboard manifolding and using either DCOE (shown on GC adapter manifold) or something similar for IDF?

I see you've posted an ad for a Spidereuropa manifold - the chances of finding one are pretty-well zero. I have never heard of one of those fabulous cars being sold off for spares.

You know, Andy & other readers - one really must accept this with F/L cars and conversions, forget easy (that you cannot fulfil) and do difficult ie: and think of a 'lateral' solution (that works). I have to do it all the time. You can wish for 'bolt-on' parts but they are so hard to get hold of. Folk who have them (even if they exist) rarely bother to tell anyone. inappropriate,I can't even find donor 2 liter 131 8v engines in the UK and there must be thousands of them out there!

Lateral thinking:

1. Different manifold and carb
2. Relocate the brake booster (there is a thread on that on the site 'somewhere'...!)
3. Get rid of the brake booster and use dual master cylinders (see Miro's thread on 131 brakes..)
4. dunno.......

G
Attachments
VX DCOE.jpg
VX DCOE.jpg (108.51 KiB) Viewed 6040 times
I have this for sale but there are one or two bits missing off the carb - just the auto-choke mechanism I think. As a carb it's pretty useless anyway..
I have this for sale but there are one or two bits missing off the carb - just the auto-choke mechanism I think. As a carb it's pretty useless anyway..
Argenta VX carb & man.JPG (114.35 KiB) Viewed 6039 times