Alfa 2.0 Twin Spark tuning?

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
Infectus-Guy

Alfa 2.0 Twin Spark tuning?

Post by Infectus-Guy »

I've recently bought an Alfa GTV TS which im really pleased with. I think its a great little car (so does my girlfriend who is in love and barely lets me drive it!) but i don't know a lot about the twinspark engine and more to the point about tuning it. I own an integrale evo so am very familiar with the Fiat 16v and have heard that the twinspark is very similar (minus the turbo etc). I gather ditching the balance belts/shafts is also the done thing, which i will probably do as its due a belt change. Can anyone point me towards a good resource for tuning this engine?
Thanks,
Guy
GC book #182
Fingers

Re: Alfa 2.0 Twin Spark tuning?

Post by Fingers »

Autodelta would probably be your best bet, I've had good dealings with them. Will be interested to hear how you get on. http://www.autodeltashop.com/
Book # 34
Infectus-Guy

Post by Infectus-Guy »

yes i've had their name spring up a few times, they look like they know what they're doing. I don't want to go to far, just after a few more bhp to make it a bit more sprightly.
Guy
GC book #182
kpsig

Post by kpsig »

Well, I have supercharged my 166 2.0 Twin Spark, facelift model with Rotrex C30-94. I know this rotrex model is a little overkill for this engine, however I found it second hand in a very good price.
The car is very very enjoyable now.
There are some things you should be aware, for a beginning:
CR must be lessened. Pistons of the standard engine are also not good for supercharging (mine "died" altogether (3/4) at the rings section). I have put forged pistons for a compression ratio of 9,5/1 and new thrust bearings.
An EGT gauge is a must since it should be used both for tuning and then monitoring
Oil cooler is also recommended
You must use a BOV, recirculated to the input of the rotrex.
You must change the injectors with bigger ones (Blue ones from Volvo 5cyl Turbo or black ones from Astra Turbo are good enough)
Programming of existing ECU can yield good results.
Existing plugs are not good enough (too hot). I have gone from BKR6 to BKR8IX and now I must also change the PMR7 to something like -8 (I wonder if the CMR8IX are compatible).
My pressure is 0,5 bar @ 4500rpm
My only questin is how much exhaust temperature is "allowed" for this engine and for how long.
I see 910 Celcius at 6th gear, 5000rpm,, cruise conditions, and it can reach 940 (i back off immediately)
Be aware that normal 2.0TS engines can reach 940+ Celcius @6900 rpm when cruising.
Kostas, Greece
WhizzMan

Post by WhizzMan »

Without naming names, you have several options to chip-tune this car. I wouldn't do anything more to the engine, maybe remove the balancer belt if it's not a CF3. Real gain can be made by upgrading the suspension and other handling bits. Ask around on the Alfa Romeo bulletin boards, the good names will be mentioned there no doubt.
Book #348